Out to Lunch

Students share their favorite off campus eats

With the adjusted 11:45 to 12:30 lunch schedule staying in place for the time being and restaurants starting to fully open up, juniors and seniors at University Prep have many options when it comes to eating off campus. From fast food eats to slow sit downs, we surveyed some Upper Schoolers and, along with my picks, here are some of the best places to eat and why.

THE QUICK HIT: WHERE TO DINE WITH ONLY 30-40 MINS.

MY PICK: HIMITSU TERIYAKI

Photo: Jonathan Karas

If you are looking for the best in-and-out restaurant that will leave you full and on-time for C block, Himitsu Teriyaki is the place to go. They have a large variety of options, including some of my favorites: the chicken katsu, chicken teriyaki, gyoza, and fried rice. According to Google Maps, Himitsu (8014 Lake City Way) is just a three minute drive from UPrep (0.7 miles away), meaning you do not have to worry about hitting traffic on the way back. You pay before you eat and the waiters bring out the food within five minutes. When you are done, you can just leave your dirty plates at the table, and they take care of it.

Pie chart of other resteraunts receiving votes for student favorite quick hit options

STUDENT PICK: CHIPOTLE

Receiving the most votes from our survey was Chipotle. A classic, Chipotle is another quick and easy choice for off-campus lunch. The allure of Chipotle is the ability to get the exact food you want and not have to wait a long time for it. While it is a bit further than Himitsu, the Chipotle on Lake City Way is an eight-minute drive from UPrep (2.8 miles away), according to Google Maps.

“It’s just fast and easy,” junior Sophia Mahon said, when indicating Chipotle was her favorite in-and-out lunch option.

“It tastes really good and there’s a lot of variety in what to get,” sophomore Bryant Lowery said.

LEISURELY LUNCH: DINE WITH TIME TO SPARE

MY PICK: CHICK-FIL-A

Junior Peter Kong savors his Chick-Fil-A nuggets as his lunch extends into his C block free period. (Photo: Jonathan Karas)

On days when my free period is after lunch, I have more time to go out and eat. Chick-Fil-A off of Aurora is my go-to option. The nuggets are straight from heaven, along with their juicy lemonade and tangy sauces for dipping. Everytime I go to Chick-Fil-A, I feel satisfied for the rest of the day. Going here is only really an option with extra time because, according to Google Maps, it is a 12-15 minute drive (5.3 miles away) from UPrep. Unless you like to drive like a menace, you probably won’t make it there and back in time for C-block.

STUDENT PICK: DIN TAI FUNG

For a leisurely meal, Din Tai Fung is an Upper School favorite. Just 2.1 miles away (an eight minute drive), distance isn’t the issue with the restaurant — it’s the actual duration of the meal. When you wind up at Din Tai Fung, you are in for a sit-down meal that could take about an hour. If you have the time and are willing to pay the upscale prices, it is one of the best places out there. The dumplings are always a popular dish.

“They have a great variety of foods that all taste really good,” junior Mia Predmore said.

WISHFUL THINKING: PLACES WE WISH WERE CLOSER

MY PICK: SUSHI OPTION

Many, including myself, were sad when popular sushi chain Blue C Sushi shut down a few years back at University Village. Since then, I’ve been longing for a similar place to pop up nearby.

Blue C Sushi was the ideal in-and-out restaurant for shorter periods of time. You could simply pick what you wanted from the conveyor belt, pay a fixed price by the type of dish and go on your way. It was as simple as could be, yet so good. I continue to miss their amazing California rolls and chicken katsu.

Hopefully, another sushi place will pop up close near UPrep in the future.

STUDENT PICKS: VARIOUS

Students responded with a variety of different places. Predmore voted for Macrina Bakery, a popular Seattle chain that offers amazing baked goods. Another popular response was any kind of bubble tea place.

Junior Charles-Henri Luu longs for a spaghetti place.

“It is my favorite food and there aren’t any reliable spaghetti options in the area at the moment,” he said.

Senior Nathan Crawford indicated that he too, would like a sushi place.

“It would add a lot more variety to the current off-campus lunch options,” Crawford said.

Map Credit: Google Maps (with edits)