Symphony Standouts

Orchestra prepares to head to state
The+upper+school+orchestra+practices+before+their+regional+competition.+
Photo: Roxanne Smith
The upper school orchestra practices before their regional competition.
The UPrep Chamber Strings perform at Western Washington University

After winning first in their category at the Regional Solo and Ensemble event on Feb, 11, 20 students from the upper school orchestra will be traveling to state on April 26.
Instrumental music teacher Thane Lewis credits their success to the leaders of the program.
“We have a great core of leadership and everyone’s playing a key role,” Lewis said.
Senior Roxanne Smith is the principal violist and librarian for the orchestra. She believes the strong influence from the seniors provided a foundation for newcomers to the orchestra.
“This year we have a lot of seniors going to state who have worked really hard and know the drill at this point,” Smith said. “They are really helpful for the incomers. Then incomers are really excited to join in.“
The combination of a strong senior presence and new additions to the class lead to a commonly held standard of dedication.
“I think [going to state] shows how dedicated our ensemble is,” Smith said. “Not to mention how hard we work.”
Despite Smith working between five and six hours a week out of school to prepare for performances, being in the orchestra doesn’t feel like a traditional class does.
“It’s been a lot of fun, especially recently,” Lewis said. “It doesn’t feel like a job because we’re just down here making music.”
On March 16, 49 students went to Bellingham for the Western Washington University State Orchestra Festival. This festival was an opportunity for the orchestra to show off their music without the stress of competition.
Lewis was very pleased with the growth in independence students showed this year.
“The people are great. I really enjoy the students,” Lewis said. “As a teacher, the highlight for me is seeing the independence of the group.”

About the Contributor
Grady Stone
Grady Stone, Reporter
Grady Stone is a reporter on the Puma Press staff. This is his first year on staff. His favorite stories to write are sports stories within the UPrep community. He enjoys how journalism allows him to write without too much stress. Outside the classroom, Grady is a baller two sport varsity starting athlete.