The Student News Site of University Prep

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

Recent Hits

Senior Assassin Standings

The class of 2024 competes to win an all out Nerf tag game

Check out @2024pumassassins on Instagram for the full rulebook, all past photos and other updates!

Day twenty-three (April 21) and twenty-four (April 22): senior slump?

Day twenty-two (April 20) was a day of fun and games for Joey till Augie crashed the function.

1. Saturday night Joey was hanging out with some of his junior friends plus a few seniors. Augie, his assassin, had previously heard through the grapevine that Patrick and Aidan (friends of Joey’s) were also going to be there. So, Augie made a guess, got the address, and put Joey in distress. All he had to do was connect the dots.

On day twenty-one (April 19) Kayla continued her streak of artful deception (see day eight for her last well-planned line of attack) by getting the whereabouts of her second target from a person that she says will remain nameless. She promised to keep it secret so I guess her tongue is tied.

1. Kayla’s journey began at her target, Harrison’s, soccer game Friday after school. Unfortunately, Kayla and her accomplice, Rebecca, couldn’t find parking to stake out till the game finished. Luck for them though, they had gotten a tip (that will remain mysterious to us) that Harrison would be at Dough Zone in the University District for a dumpling dinner after the game. They waited until Harrison and about 15 of his friends were sat at a table, then they quickly ran into the soon-to-be scene of the crime.

The silence of the past week and a half was broken early on day twenty (April 18).

1. On Hana’s way to school in the morning, Komathi sprang forth to get her second target of the game. Just a reminder of Komathi’s punctuation: She was one of the few to get out her target on the very first day of the game and she was the first to get a target during round two. One down, 24 left to go.

Day seventeen (April 15), eighteen (April 16), and nineteen (April 17) seemed to be a continued spring break for the senior assassins. As school started up again, the 25 remaining players stayed safe in the shadows and not a single target was tagged out.

Day sixteen (April 5), the last day of round one, had a repetitive theme: last-minute assisted tags between targets and their assassins. With only hours left on the clock, those left unable to get their first target decided they would rather allow their assassin get them than get out due to the ending round.

1. The first to start the trend of the day was Poppy (originally Aidan’s target) who allowed Patrick to get her out after advisory. Beforehand, she had texted him saying she had no way of getting her target Evan (who had left for vacation) and would rather walk off school grounds and get it over with.
  2. Not long after, Caelan (whose target, Annie, was on vacation) allowed Jack to get him out in the same fashion. Just a quick walk to Dahl and Jack had gotten his second target of the game.
  3. Then during Ms. Serkowski’s “Canon: British Literature” class, Elizabeth told her target, Beruk (whose target was Roxxane and again…on vacation for Spring Break) that she wanted to get him out before the round ended. So, after class, they walked to the street across from the ULab, and Elizabeth was allowed passage to the next round.
  4. Now, I’ve got to give credit to this last tag because Matthew and Fiachra put some real pazazz into their alliance.It was theatrical really. According to Owen, who is pictured in the video fighting Matthew with foam swords, the dramatized version goes like this: Matthew was unexpectedly ambushed by his assassin Fiachra in the trees of Dahl shortly after school. The real version, however, is more similar to the rest. Matthew had attempted to get his target, Komathi, four times before he finally yielded an hour and a half before the round ended and let Fiachra get him out. Shout out to Fiachra’s mom who filmed Matthews’s final moments in the game.
  5. Lastly for the day, eleven people were simultaneously removed from the game because they could not successfully take out their target. Here is an alphabetical list of each of them and their target:
    Video credit: Ursula Phelan
  • Alton —> Target: Eliza
  • Ari —> Target: Patrick
  • Eliza —> Target: Nathan
  • Hyun —> Target: Fiachra
  • Julia —> Target: Michaela
  • Juliana —> Target: Malaya
  • Leo —> Target: Eli
  • Mohamed —> Target: Zak
  • Owen —>Target: Kayla
  • Pascale —> Target: Leela
  • Zak —> Target: Cora

Day fifteen (April 4) included an unconventional compromise between a target and her assassin.

1. After Dylan’s fourth failed attempt at getting Ashley out at her tennis practice, he sent a text to her friend Olivia. He had heard that Ashley was having trouble getting her target and wanted to see if she would “sacrifice” herself instead of getting out because of the end of the round. Olivia relayed the idea to Ashley who said she would agree to it if he paid her 50 dollars. Things came to a tee at Dahl field Thursday, where Dylan passed over 60 dollars (he didn’t have change for 50) and promptly took out Ashley. I guess in the end everyone went home happy.

Day fourteen (April 3): Womp womp

Day thirteen (April 2) was a no-immunity purge day. No one was safe except for…well, pretty much everyone because only two people got tagged out.

1. Say goodbye to our dear game leader Kyan, who took one for the team and successfully ended the three-day-long drought. After second period, Kyan headed out of school to prepare for his global link trip to Botswana that evening. He knew his friend Harrison had him as his target and also that he had no chance at getting his own target out before spring break began. Instead of going peacefully, he decided to help his friend out and let Harrison tag him at Dahl Field.
  2. Edit: After Tuesday, a poll was posted to @2024pumassassins laying out the attempted assassination of Maleha by Partick. The story was this: Partick had shot two bullets into a car where Maleha sat in the passenger seat. Her younger sibling who knew about the game jumped in front of Partick to try and block either the bullet or his view. Afterward, two Nerf bullets were found on the driver’s seat. Maleha claimed she didn’t feel the bullets hit and Partick didn’t see; so Partick suggested they post a poll. Both people agreed on the written explanation that was posted to Instagram. In the end, 61 people voted and 52% of respondents said she was out and 48% said she was in. Per democracy, she was declared tagged out. Partick stands by his claim that he got her out and Maleha still believes he never tagged her.

The senior assassins seem to be in a slump because day twelve (April 1) just continued the recession.

Nothing to see here folks, the dust has settled and everybody left standing on day ten (March 30) and day eleven (March 31) were too scared to come out.

Day nine (March 29) started out as a seemingly tired and slow senior assassin Friday but quickly turned much more interesting once Skylar’s 18th birthday party rolled around.

1. It all started with Evan getting Reagan out after school. Before the attack, Caelan and Evan had been plotting on the best way to get her. First, Caelan told Evan of Reagan’s babysitting address. But then, after school, Caelan realized he had Reagan’s blanket sitting in his car. So he asked her if she wanted to grab it then walked her right off campus into the trap. Reagan hadn’t even bought floaties, goggles or, for that matter, anything Nerf.

The rest of the evening was quite a doozy so you’ll have to stay with me for this one. Flashback to day seven (Wednesday): Maddie was taken out by Max B. at track practice. According to Max B, Skylar had confirmed what he already knew, when Maddie would be at practice. Once Maddie was tagged she started compiling a plan to help Skylar’s assassin, Cora, get her out. Lucky for her, Skylar was holding her birthday party at a bowling alley only a few days later. Before the party on Friday, Maddie, Alexa and Eliza went to the venue early to bribe a woman on staff. They told her about the situation and asked that she tell everyone else that floaties were a safety concern and not allowed on the bowling alley floor. Later, the group met at the beach where Jeremy arrived and shot his assassin, Alexa, so he would have immunity for the next two hours.

2.  Back at the bowling alley, once the party started and people began to show up, the floodgates opened and no one had floaties. The plotters texted Cora and Ashe who were waiting in the parking lot with Julia. Unfortunately for Ashe, Julia had texted Olivia, Ashe’s assassin, about the whole plan. So, Olivia pulled up and tagged Ashe before they even got a chance to get their target, Jack.

3. Next, all four of them went inside: Olivia to get Jack in Ashe’s place, and Cora still on her way to get Skylar. With no immunity on (per Maddie’s pay-off scheme), Skylar was left completely defenseless to Cora’s attack. Bye Bye, birthday girl. Meanwhile, Olivia was shot by her own target, giving Jack immunity for the next two hours. That wasn’t enough for him though, because he also decided to pay Olivia off in exchange for immunity till the end of round one. Three down for the day, four more to go.

4. Around 8:30, right after finishing a shift at work, Zoe showed up at the function. Unbeknownst to anyone, Eli turned around and got her fair and square. Initially, Maddie had been her assassin but once Max B. had gotten her out it had been passed all the way to Eli.

5. If you remember back to when part of the group took a trip to the beach, Jeremy had obtained two hours of safety from Alexa. Well, right about 9:10 his time of immunity was running out. Alexa had it all planned out. Jeremy was talking to Ellie when Alexa whipped around and said “Sorry” right before tagging him.

6. Then, she immediately turned her aim to Ellie standing perfectly next to her first target. You see, Alexa already knew who she would inherit by getting Jeremy out, she was just lucky enough to have them both at once. Congratulations Alexa for being the first person to get three targets out!

7. To end the night, was Duncan, taken out by Augie. After bowling had finished, the group moved on to Dick’s. They invited Duncan who showed up in floaties and goggles. At just the wrong time though he put down his pool floatie and was tagged out by Augie. Nothing but love in the photo though.

Here lies day eight (March 28), buried alongside Sidney and Naz’s senior assassin safety streak. So sad.

1. Kayla started her day off right with some mild breaking and entering that involved stealing Sidney’s goggles from her Puma bag in the gym. That way, when Sidney was sheathing her arms into some beach ball-themed floaties, right before tennis practice, she was missing a vital part of her immunity costume. She crossed her fingers and made her way to the tennis center. Unfortunately for her, Kayla’s plan worked perfectly. Keep a tight hold on your belongings folks, don’t want to get your immunity stolen!
  2.  Soon after Kayla’s success, Skylar found herself in a perfectly coincidental situation. She was pulling out of UPrep when she saw her target, Naz, waiting patiently to get on the bus to go on her regularly scheduled Starbucks visit. So, Skylar waited and made her move after parking at UVillage and sneakily tiptoeing through the crosswalk in her neon floaties, bright pink sweatshirt, and reflective goggles. I bet that was a sight for the shoppers. If only Naz had gone to one of the other three UVillage Starbucks, she may have lived to play another day.

Day seven (March 27) was a day off from school work but not from assassin work according to Max B, Eli, and Augie.

1. Track practice had Max B. chasing his target Maddie on her scooter around Roosevelt high school. She didn’t make it far though.
  2. Unlucky for Max B. his assassin was also at practice, so as soon as he got Maddie out he turned around to find Eli ready to get him.
  3. The final out of the day involved Augie waiting for Dante outside the ACE Mentor Program building and then tagging him. Just too easy.

By the end of day six (March 26) two more seniors claimed success while a third, Ellie, just nearly missed her target, Julia. After aiming into the backseat of Cora’s dad’s car, Ellie’s Nerf bullet bounced off a bag and hit Julia. Luckily for Julia, a poll was posted to @2024pumassassins, and 113 people (48%) voted her out while 121 people (52%) voted that the bounced bullet didn’t count. Julia was declared safe!

1. On the other hand, Max S. wasn’t so lucky. While Max was removing his floatie to put into the back of his car Michaela was waiting behind another car on the phone with Jennifer. Jennifer, who was spying on Max then gave Michaela the “go-ahead” to pop out and collect her win. Teamwork makes the dream work I guess!
  2. That seemed to be the theme of the day because, after school, Aki was taken out by Malaya with the help of their mutual friend, Kiana Warren (junior). With a premeditated plan in place, Kiana invited Aki to get food after school when all along Malaya was just waiting at the set destination to get out her target.

Day five (March 25): The official start of week two brought more of the same undercover morning and after-school stake-outs.

1. Jack pulled up to Cesar’s house before school. Just as Cesar was going in for a goodbye hug with his sister who was leaving for a flight to Oregon, Jack took out his target.
  2. Later in the day, Joey made his second tag of the game getting out unsuspecting Tyler after school.
  3. And finally, Alexa sat waiting in the car for Walker to finish his baseball practice before she made her move.

Day four (March 24): I guess people were shy this weekend cause Sunday only yielded two more updates.

1. Izzy became the first person to tag out two people this year (two days apart mind you). She waited patiently for Boden to finish mock trial before catching him at his home at around noon. He had nowhere to go but down.
  2. Maleha, in a similar fashion, tagged out Aidan at his home around five hours later.

It seems that day two got everybody tired…or scared, because day three (march 23) was slightly underwhelming.

1. The twins, Roxanne and Izzy, continued their streak from yesterday with the only successful tag of the day. As Trixie was running to make it to tennis practice on time, Roxanne popped out of hiding and caught her target. Take it from me guys, gotta keep and eye out for those sisters.

Day two (March 22) surpassed expectations with nearly double the tags of day one.

1. Similarly to Jennifer’s tactic the day before, Wynne endeavored on a morning stake-out in front of Claire’s home. Fifteen minutes later, the wait was over and Claire had a somber drive to school.
  2. Meanwhile, somewhere else in Seattle, Hana made the same morning moves to tag out Aida. With one theatrical “I’m sorry” from Hana, Aida was out of the game.
  3. After school and after a successful boy’s soccer game against SAAS, basically half the team was taken out one by one. First was Kian tagged by Joey.
  4. Next came August defeated by Max B.
  5. Then Nalin lost to Jeremy.
  6. And finally, as Landon was walking to his car at Shoreline AB, Alex took him out. That’s one, two, three, four down in mere minutes.
  7. Next came a two-pronged betrayal. Griffon, who was only wearing floaties and not goggles was pursued and tagged by Isaac.
  8. Then when Issac left to join his friends for a pizza break, Griffon clued Nathan in on his target’s whereabouts. Nathan showed up and Isaac’s victory became short-lived.
  9. Finally, I regret to inform you all that I was tagged by the lovely Izzy. She and her sister Roxanne dedicated a whole hour and a half of their lives to camping out by my car waiting for me to get off work. Even the precaution of parking a block away couldn’t stop them.

With day one (March 21) completed, some seniors have come out on top while others have been left in the dust.

1. The first person out of the running this year was Sonia, who was tagged by Jennifer while getting into her car to go to school. She didn’t even make it past 8:15 am.
  2. Later, when school ended for the day, Colin was making his way to the Dalh parking lot. Annie S caught him as he was getting to his car. According to @2024pumaassassins, he was the “#1 perceived threat” for this year’s game.
  3. Shortly after, Marina was tagged by Skylar in front of her own home. After school, Jack and Skylar followed closely behind Marina until they could pop out and make their move. Skylar was equipped with goggles and floaties but Marina, not so much.
  4. Then came Leela tagging out Sinclaire right after tennis practice.
  5. The final hit of the night was a twist. First successful attacker of the night: Jennifer was met at work by Komathi at 7:00 sharp. A short-lived victory for Jennifer this season.
About the Contributor
Sydney Woogerd
Sydney Woogerd, Editor-in-Chief
Sydney Woogerd is an editor-in-chief for the Puma Press and a senior in her second year on staff. Sydney enjoys writing stories that involve community perspectives and exciting new events on and off campus. Her favorite part of journalism is its fast-paced work environment which gives her experience in writing and problem-solving. Outside of school, she enjoys playing soccer, baking, and spending time with friends.