A New Way of Learning

Students switch to online classes due to COVID-19 outbreak

Photo: Loobna Shego

A freshman biology class at UPrep met in a Zoom classroom while working from home. As the Upper School transitioned to distance learning, students and faculty leaned heavily on technology.

Due to the coronavirus outbreak, classes at University Prep have been taking place online, since March 9.

Students have used Zoom, which is a free online platform that allows students to see and talk with their teachers and peers. Students meet in their regular classes and have the opportunity to meet with teachers during office hours.

“Zoom is a tool that lets us have that face time, that lets us have interactions in the most natural way possible right now,” Director of Learning Design and Technology Jeff Tillinghast said. “Video-based communication is a really important part of the workforce right now.”

Sophomore and exchange student Nicolas Hernandez Mosquera has been taking classes from Colombia, and he believes Zoom is a good alternative to having class in person.

“It’s a good platform because it allows people to connect and be efficient with work,” Hernandez said.

Based on the current government guidelines, UPrep students could return to campus at the earliest on April 27.

“Six weeks, I think, will be a challenge, but I do think it’s necessary,” freshman Haley Hoffman said.

As a utility that helps us connect, so far, [Zoom] has worked really well.

— Director of Learning Design and Technology Jeff Tillinghast

Each day, students take four 30-45 minute classes, with 15-30 minutes in between each class. Hoffman has found the break in between classes to be refreshing and prefers longer breaks closer to 30 minutes.

“I like to go on a 10-15 minute walk in between classes, just to get outside. When teachers take 45 minutes, then I can’t do that,” Hoffman said.

Using Zoom, many problems can occur. For Hoffman, there have been audio issues.

“I log on and then it says my audio is not working. It asked me for my password, but I wasn’t sure which password it was asking me for,” Hoffman said.

According to Hernandez, it can sometimes be difficult to get work done at home.

“It’s a bit more distracting being at home,” Hernandez said.

Students and teachers have had to adjust to doing classes virtually.

“We’re not an online school, and our school isn’t built to be entirely virtual,” Tillinghast said.

Each class has had to adapt to going online, and one class Hoffman takes is dance.

“It’s actually worked out pretty well,” Hoffman said. “You angle [the camera] directly towards your feet. Then you work on technique.”

Using Zoom may have been a struggle at first, but according to Tillinghast, it has been effective.

“As a utility that helps us connect, so far, it has worked really well,” Tillinghast said.