Celebrating the World Cup at UPrep

UPrep students watch the World Cup during school

Photo: Sam Falck

UPrep students watch the World Cup in the library

The World Cup took place in Qatar from November to December, it takes place every 4 years and many fans around the world tune in to watch and support their country.

The students and faculty from UPrep also want to watch the world cup. “I did watch the World Cup and I enjoyed it a lot.” eighth grader Arin Sahasrabudhe said. 

“Because the finals are probably like the best ever,” Sahasrabudhe said.

Many unexpected events and controversies happened throughout the World Cup. 

There were a lot of upsets and surprises,” Sahasrabudhe stated. 

At UPrep the school broadcasted 2 games in the gym, USA vs Wales and USA vs Iran.

“It was very fun,” eighth grader Dev Parikh said.

“And the gym has a giant screen.” Parikh said.

As avid team USA fans, most teachers let their class watch the game in class. 

“It’s exciting because we didn’t have to do schoolwork and everyone was having fun,” eighth grader Tom Tooth said. 

Students watched the World Cup in the gym, while eating lunch. Tim Blok, the assistant director of middle school, explains his thoughts.

“There were some trash. I think that was left behind a few times, maybe some lunch stuff like bowls and forks and the other utensils. But I don’t think there were any major spills or messes that I was aware of. And I think people also left when they were asked to and like followed instructions from Mr. Bauer as he was supervising in there,” Blok said.

Some students watched the games on their ipads and chromebooks during class behind their teachers’ backs. According to a google survey, 75% of students have watched the World Cup during school.  

“It’s also soccer and it’s so much better than learning in every way possible,” said Tooth.

Blok was approached by history teacher Damin Bauer and middle school math teacher Maria Yepes for the idea to put the world cup in the gym.   “Both were asking if that was a possibility. Acknowledging that there were a bunch of students in the middle school who would be really interested in watching the game and that it’s, you know, a pretty, a pretty big deal in the soccer world,” Blok said.