Seattle’s Secret Spots

A day exploring the less known beaches and parks of our city

Inspired by the frustration of fighting to find a spot to sit at Magnuson or Golden Gardens, I set about exploring our beautiful city to find my own secret locations…void of strangers and yelling children.

I did some research and was overwhelmed to discover that Seattle has 149 parks and beaches that are less known to the public than bigger beaches and hidden from the main roads.  

I took advantage of the first non-rainy day and drove around trying to visit as many as possible.

It didn’t cross my mind that although the beaches were titled “secret beaches,” because they are posted online, they probably aren’t “secret” anymore.

The only “secretive” places I went to consisted of small patches of grass and a single bench located off the side of the freeway. This encouraged me to find my own places, instead of searching online.

I followed my friend to a hidden lookout in Magnolia. It was right on the side of Magnolia Boulevard down a narrow, hidden, dirt path.

The view before me was utterly breathtaking. Having just been standing along a bustling side street, I now found myself on a remote dirt landing, gazing off the edge of a steep cliff.

The sun reflected off the water, creating a glittering effect along the leaves of trees, which hung over us creating an even more enclosed and private space.

On a quest to find a secret beach next I drove as close to the water as I could. On Perkins lane I noticed an opening, so I parked and began to walk down the path. This beach consisted of a long walkway that led down to a rocky edge with a small picnic bench. To the left, over dozens of huge rocks was a strip of public property that outlined the ornate beach-front houses.

This beach was absolutely stunning and the extent of how hidden it is ensures for both silence and privacy.

Although my search for finding secret spots online was unsuccessful, this does not mean our city is not filled with them. It’s time that we put an end to fighting for space at populated beaches or trying to hear over stranger’s loud conversations.

It’s time to get up and start exploring the unknown beauties of Seattle.