Students Run in ASB Election

4 middle schoolers win new leadership positions
Photo: Azania Santiago
Grace Jin giving her ASB election speech.

At UPrep, we hold an ASB election every year. There can be up to 20 or more kids that can run.
People can run if they show organization, are trustworthy, take leadership and are confident.
Some people do run because they are popular. People should run because they feel like they can do a good job and people can rely on them.
“If you’ve been in class with somebody, and they open their backpack and papers fly out, you’re probably not going to be like, “Oh, that person’s organized and would probably be a really good leader,’” Assistant Director of Middle School Tim Blok said.
The election results are top secret. It’s essential not to tell people about the election before it happens. It is also very hard to break the news to someone who didn’t get one of the positions.
“I will say it’s not stressful. Like, I don’t get stressed by running the election or anything like that. But it is tough every year to tell people that they did not get elected,” Blok said.
The elections are amazing, but mostly the people themselves. To get people to vote for you, you have to show who you are and what you are like. Yet, people can’t make posters, buttons, or force people to vote for them. They just have to show their personality and what makes them a good person.
“Be open with everybody. Don’t be afraid to talk to everyone and don’t be shy. Don’t shy away from any opportunities to talk to people and meet new people,” seventh-grade class president and outgoing ASB president Sulekha Hassan said.
Since there is no campaigning involved in the election, runners have to be open and friendly.
They have to talk to people even if they don’t want to. It’s all a part of the job.
“I like the fact that like you really aren’t able to campaign and you just have to like talk to the people yourself,” Hassan said.
Seventh grader Grace Jin will be president next year.
“I think throughout the year trying to show that you’re worthy of ASB. Like you show those role model quality traits. Try and like make a speech that touches people enough,” Jin said.