The Student News Site of University Prep

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

From the Lead to Leader

Senior Aida Richey to direct a full play
Photo: Grady Stone
Senior Aida Richey rehearses scenes after school with senior Hana Hyde and junior Cate Fitzgerald.

As the curtains rise in Founders Hall, a new director takes center stage. This time, however, senior Aida Richey is the one addressing the audience instead of practicing her lines behind the curtains.
Richey plans to direct “Whodunnit,” a 1930s murder mystery, on June 3.
Ever since Coleman Hunter (’23) directed “Book of Days” last June, Richey knew she wanted to do the same.
“Last year, Coleman Hunter did his own student produced works, and I was in it,” Richey said. “I saw the whole process, and I was like, ‘That looks incredible. I want to do that for my LaunchPad.’”
Following Hunter’s inspiration for her Launchpad, Richey worked to turn her vision into reality.
“Since then, I’ve been working a lot behind the scenes and with a lot of various teachers to make it happen,” Richey said.
“I’ve always been the performer on stage,” Richey added. “I’m looking to immerse myself in the background aspect of it and the behind the scenes.”
For Richey, being a part of the theater has always been important to her.
“It’s kind of always been a part of my life in some capacity,” Richey said. “I think I always want it to be a part of my life in some way.”
Despite being well-versed in the theater world, the switch from actor to director presents some struggles for Richey.
“I want the cast to respect me as the person giving them blocking and feedback, but I also want to acknowledge that I’m their equal,” Richey said. “It’s tricky, but the cast has been absolutely wonderful and made it easy.”
Fine Arts teacher Meleesa Wyatt, who has assisted students looking to take part in the growing Student Produced Works program, couldn’t be more proud of Richey’s growth in theater.
“She always had a lot of confidence, and now she’s learned how to modulate that, which it is always more interesting to watch someone who has levels onstage,” Wyatt said. “So it [will] be really fun to see her as a director.”
Wyatt is excited to be able to offer students experiences that extend outside the classroom.
“To be able to give students an opportunity to flex that muscle, to be in charge and to have an idea and see it all the way through to the end,” Wyatt said, “that’s just really fun to support that and make a space where that can happen.”
Hunter feels that student produced works are important for actors at UPrep.
“Student produced works provide a space for students to explore the arts in a self-driven fashion that is not limited to the classes and lessons provided by University Prep,” Hunter said. “In my opinion, there is a point in arts education when the student must take what they’ve learned and apply it in a way that requires complete creativity, and SPW provides this.”
Wyatt emphasizes the importance of students following their passions, and she wants UPrep to support them through it.
“This started with a group of students who wanted to do something and became an opportunity many UPrep students have been involved in, and I’ve had a wonderful time,” Wyatt said. “I want kids to keep doing these shows, and I want there to be somebody here who will support that and help make it happen every year.”
Richey has seen how her plans play out through the process.
“When I first read the script, I had tons of ideas for how I wanted the show to turn out and how I thought each character would act,” Richey said. “Now that it’s coming to fruition, I’m watching my imagination come to life.”

About the Contributor
Grady Stone
Grady Stone, Reporter
Grady Stone is a reporter on the Puma Press staff. This is his first year on staff. His favorite stories to write are sports stories within the UPrep community. He enjoys how journalism allows him to write without too much stress. Outside the classroom, Grady is a baller two sport varsity starting athlete.