Beyond the Big Leagues

I explore Seattle’s unsung sports teams

Introduction

The Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders and Kraken dominate Seattle’s competitive landscape. All four made the playoffs of their respective leagues this decade. While these teams are well-known, the city possesses other professional sports teams that are less recognized. I attended three games of lesser-known sports teams in the greater Seattle area.

Seattle Seawolves

The Seawolves took on the Miami Sharks on March 9. Seattle won 29-18. (Photo: Teddy Bergstrom)

The Seattle Seawolves play rugby at Starfire Sports in Tukwila, 24 minutes from UPrep. On March 9, the Seawolves played the Miami Sharks. Even for someone who doesn’t know the rules of rugby, the game was entertaining because of the fast-paced nature of the sport. I spent $35 on my ticket but would recommend the $20 standing-room-only tickets, as I enjoyed moving around the field the entire game. I recommend the Seawolves to anyone looking to expand their sports interests. If you want to go, the Seawolves next home game is on April 5.

Seattle Thunderbirds

The Thunderbirds took on the Tri-City Americans on March 10. Seattle won 6-5. (Photo: Teddy Bergstrom)
Photo: Teddy Bergstrom

The Seattle Thunderbirds are a professional junior hockey team in the Western Hockey League. Their players range in age from 16 to 21. The Thunderbirds play in Kent at the accesso ShoWare Center, 31 minutes from UPrep. I watched them play on March 10 and was impressed. The arena felt lively. The Thunderbirds have dedicated fans who make the environment feel like an NHL game. They cheer from the first minute to the final buzzer. I paid $20 for my ticket, which felt reasonable considering it put me close to the action. However, I do wish the Thunderbirds spent more time playing hockey and less time having activities for the fans. The Thunderbirds’ season ended on March 24. The next season begins in late September.

Seattle Tempest

The Tempest took on the San Diego Super Bloom on March 23. Seattle lost 17-15. (Photo: Teddy Bergstrom)

Seattle’s professional women’s ultimate frisbee team, The Tempest play at Memorial Stadium, in the shadow of the Space Needle. I saw them on March 23, when they played the San Diego Super Bloom. Professional ultimate is an exhilarating sport with almost constant action. The passionate fans, constantly making noise, got me more invested in the game. The sport moves fast, and someone is always scoring. I paid $10 for my ticket and would recommend this experience to anyone. The Tempest take on the Colorado Alpenglow on April 27.

About the Contributor
Teddy Bergstrom
Teddy Bergstrom, Editor-in-Chief
Teddy Bergstrom is an Editor-in-Chief of the Puma Press. He is a junior and this is his third year on staff. He loves to write opinion articles and experiential. His favorite part of journalism is covering the community and telling stories that would otherwise go unheard. Outside of school, he loves his dogs, his sister, and listening to indie folk music.