The Madness is Here

A look into a few important teams before March Madness tips off

March Madness is hands down the most exciting playoff in sports. With 68 teams, 67 games, and only one champion, the magic of the NCAA tournament stands alone. The single-elimination bracket-style tournament never has a dull moment, with dozens of upsets and the Cinderella story that always manages to leave everyone in shock. Here are some of the major storylines to look for going into this year’s Big Dance.

Men’s Tournament:

Purdue (1): 

With the reigning NCAA player of the year, Zach Edey, and Purdue are formidable foes for any opponent they cross. The Boilermakers have a chip on their shoulder from last year after becoming the second-ever no. 1. seed to lose in the first round. The only other time was when the University of Virginia lost in 2018; they then proceeded to win the national championship the following year. Will the same fate become of Purdue?

UConn (1):

The 2023 National Champions are on a roll this year, coming off an even better regular season than last year. As the overall No. 1 seed, the Huskies are the favorite to win it again. Danny Hurley and UConn are no strangers to the tournament, giving them the advantage of experience on this stage. While the UConn women’s team is known for its basketball dynasty, the men have won five of the last 24.

Kentucky (3): 

Kentucky has some big names on its roster, with two potential NBA lottery picks coming off the bench. Reed Sheppard and Rob Dillingham are some of the best players in the whole tournament, and after a tough loss in the SEC tournament, these blue-bloods are ready to make a March Madness run. The Wildcats are a high-paced and high-scoring team, bound to make any game they play a must-watch. Kentucky is a basketball powerhouse, but will their 9-year final-four drought finally come to an end this year?

Women’s Tournament:

South Carolina(1):

South Carolina has been the most dominant college basketball team over the last couple of years, losing only three games over the past three years and going undefeated this season. Star player: freshman Malaysia Fulwiley is a walking highlight reel and a leader on the court. Dawn Staley and the Gamecocks look unstoppable, beating the reigning champs, the LSU Tigers, in the SEC championship. It is important to note, however, that the starting center, Kamilla Cardoso, has been suspended for their first game. 

Iowa (1):

Caitlin Clark is the face of NCAA basketball, having led Iowa all the way to the NCAA championship last year; they are hungry for a title. Clark became the all-time leading scorer in both men’s and women’s NCAA basketball this season, and she is currently the projected first-overall pick in the WNBA draft. The Hawkeyes are an offensive powerhouse, leading Division 1 in points per game. With a lot of talented teams in their region, Iowa is going to have an exciting tournament.

Stanford (2):

Stanford always brings excitement deep into the tournament, and this year, they hope for no different. Head coach Tara VanDerveer is now the winningest head coach in NCAA history, and her talented Cardinal team looks to add to that. Team captain Cameron Brink is the two-time Pac-12 defensive player of the year and one of the best defensive players in the tournament. Stanford has been in 35 of the last 36 tournaments and won the title in 2021.

About the Contributor
Sol Starin
Sol Starin, Copy Editor
Sol Starin is the copy editor on staff for the Puma Press. He is a sophomore and has been on the staff for two years. He enjoys writing about the people in the community and sharing those stories in the paper. His favorite part of journalism is interviewing various people and learning more about them. Outside of journalism, he plays a lot of basketball and enjoys watching movies.