The Student News Site of University Prep

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

People Don’t Know How to Have Proper Discourse

Having difficult conversations about politics or any charged issue is tough, but we still must remain polite in how we show up. Younger generations are losing the ability to have effective and respectful conversations about topics they disagree about. 

It is infinitely clear that more young people are getting involved in politics. According to Tufts’ CIRCLE “more than three in four youth say they believe they can get involved and improve things in their communities.”

By approaching conversations with a willingness to listen, we can use these interactions to grow each other’s awareness and engagement without fear of judgment or resentment.      Here are a few tips: 

Stay calm and collected: Emotions can run high during charged discussions. Try to remain calm and composed, even if you strongly disagree with the other person’s views. 

Clarify and seek understanding: If you don’t understand a particular point of view, ask clarifying questions. This demonstrates genuine interest and helps avoid misunderstandings.

Use “I” statements: When expressing your views, use “I” statements to convey your perspective. This helps to keep the conversation focused on your experiences and opinions. Avoid being condescending, and frame information as an exchange of ideas rather than a correction.

Find common ground: Look for areas of agreement or common values. Acknowledging shared  perspectives can start a positive conversation and help bridge gaps.

Know when to take a break: Sometimes, despite our best efforts, certain conversations may become unproductive or emotionally charged. It’s okay to disengage if needed. 

Most of us can’t vote just yet, but we should start practicing the skills needed to be informed and active participants in democracy. As high schoolers who will be voting soon, we need to be able to make informed decisions by gathering information from all sides, thoughtfully talking about it and ultimately formulating strong, yet empathetic, opinions. 

If you would like to practice, email me at [email protected] to join the Puma Discourse Club where we will learn from each other, have balanced discourse, and constructively share opinions about meaningful issues.

About the Contributor
Max Cook, Reporter
Max Cook is a reporter on the staff of the Puma Press. He is a sophomore and new to the staff this year. He loves to write about hard news topics and spark action as a result of his articles. His favorite part of journalism is participating as a part of the journalism community, collaborating with his peers and writing about serious and important issues. Outside of journalism he plays soccer for UPrep's varsity team and loves to cook.