The Solscars

Theaters had a big year with massive movie releases, drawing in a total of more than $9 billion at the box office something we haven’t seen since before the pandemic, according to CNN. Hit movies were all over the place this summer, from “Killers of the Flower Moon” to “Spider-man: Across the Spider-Verse”. However, none were as big as “Barbie” and “Oppenheimer,” bringing out 18 million people on opening weekend. With such an incredible lineup of films, we are in for an eventful Oscars. As a frequent moviegoer, I have seen a vast majority of the nominated films, and here are some of my predictions.

Best Picture: Oppenheimer

While “Oppenheimer” might owe much of its financial success to “Barbie,” (millions from people who’s “Barbie” theater was sold out) Christopher Nolan and the cast deserve all of it. The three-hour masterpiece was filled with incredible acting, eye-catching cinematography and stunning sound and visuals. The adapted screenplay captures the genius of J. Robert Oppenheimer’s mind and the horrors that haunt him. The film won best motion picture – drama at the Golden Globes, and I don’t think its awards will stop there.

Best Actor: Cillian Murphy

Cillian Murphy took on the role of Oppenheimer and played it to perfection. He managed to portray one of the greatest scientific minds in history. Murphy perfectly capturing his deep and complicated personal life, from his early school life in the 1920s to his teaching jobs all the way up until WWII, when he changed the world. I predict that he will take home his first-ever Oscar this year.

Best Actress: Lily Gladstone

The battle for best actress at the Oscars is the most debatable. Both Lily Gladstone (“Killers of the Flower Moon”) and Emma Stone (“Poor Things”) won leading actress trophies for their respective movies at the Golden Globes. The two actresses each had Oscar-winning performances; however, I predict that Gladstone will become the first-ever Native American woman to win an Oscar. She delivered a flawless performance in “Killers of the Flower Moon” with her portrayal of Osage woman Mollie Burkhart.

Best Director: Christopher Nolan

Christopher Nolan has turned “Oppenheimer” into an award-winning machine, and I have no doubt that he will secure best director for his efforts. He was able to seamlessly jump around in time, following the complicated chronology of the movie. The cinematography and shots in the piece were some of the best I have ever seen. His talented and award-winning cast, who played their roles to perfection assisted his overall masterpiece. When you have a lineup like that, you are bound to win an Oscar or two.

Other Picks:

Actor in a Supporting Role: Robert Downey Jr. (“Oppenheimer”)

Actress in a Supporting Role: Da’Vine Joy Randolph (“The Holdovers”)

Cinematography: “Oppenheimer”

Costume Design: Jacqueline West (“Killers of the Flower Moon”)

Writing (Adapted Screenplay): “Oppenheimer”

Writing (Original Screenplay): “The Holdovers”

About the Contributor
Sol Starin
Sol Starin, Copy Editor
Sol Starin is the copy editor on staff for the Puma Press. He is a sophomore and has been on the staff for two years. He enjoys writing about the people in the community and sharing those stories in the paper. His favorite part of journalism is interviewing various people and learning more about them. Outside of journalism, he plays a lot of basketball and enjoys watching movies.