A Broken System

The learning accommodations system is broken nationwide. For students the process can take months and cost thousands
of dollars. And even after going through a diagnosis, they still aren’t always guaranteed the accommodation they need. To qualify for accommodations, students must first have an individualized learning plan at University Prep. The process to approve ILPs is lengthy, multiple days of testing from a licensed professional. Because of the shortage of profes- sionals, most have wait lists up to six months. Once you get past the long wait list, you have to cough up anywhere from one to five thou- sand dollars. It makes the system pay to win.

Fifteen percent of UPrep students currently have accommodations. For these 15% they went through the long testing process only to be handed a very expensive bill at the end. For students who already have financial aid, some cannot afford this diagnosis.

UPrep currently does not help students cover the cost of the diagnoses. According to Doug Moon, associate director of admission and financial aid, UPrep doesn’t have the budget

to fund students. At the same time, the school brags on social media about all of the activities that are funded from the Puma Fund.

UPrep could take just a small part of the Puma Fund and put it toward helping students

on financial aid receive the diagnoses they need so they can learn and test in a fair and comfort- able environment. The money could be taken out of the budgets for sports, clubs, fine arts, the Puma Press and other activities. Making sure all students can receive the accommodations they need is more important than sending students on trips or getting cookies for a club meeting.

The process for obtaining accommodations is rigorous, time-consuming and exhausting. Students and their families shouldn’t also need to worry about how they will pay for it. UPrep could take money from privileged programs and put it toward helping students who need accommodations.