Age Old Champions

Seniors continue to dominate the Class Cup competition
Photo: Sy
Senior Owen Dombrowski, sophomore Huda Hassan, junior Kori Billingslea, English teacher Carrie Niebanck, math teacher David Peabody and science teacher Mikayla Patella-Buckley dance in a flash mob for Barbenheimer day in the final event of Spirit Week. Classes with the most students dressed up for Barbenheimer got the most class cup points.

Currently, seniors hold a grade point score of 399 in the annual Class Cup competition. Ninth-graders, sophomores, and juniors follow in a race for second, third, and fourth place with scores of 328, 179, and 141. A consistent pattern has repeated on the Class Cup podium for almost a decade: seniors in first place.

As the senior class comes together for their last year, ASB President and senior, Alexa Carlisle has become a model for their winning mindset.

Graphic: Simon Alpren

“I think competition can really bring people together. It’s just like, you go to school for six hours a day…and you’re gonna get burnt out if you have no fun in there,” Carlisle said. “I think Class Cup brings the competition, the fun, the spirit, and that’s what we need more of. That’s what high school is about.”

Most seniors seem to share Carlisle’s enthusiasm for participating in school events. In a sample poll of the senior class, 88.9% said that they have already participated in Class Cup this year, while only 68.4% of ninth-graders, 38.9% of sophomores and 33.3% of juniors said they have gotten involved.
Students were also asked why they have or have not participated in Class Cup. Underclassmen reported that they have neither the time, the transportation or the interest to get involved. The seniors on the other hand expressed their motivation to support their grade and friends with the added benefit of inheriting a plaque on the Class Cup trophy.

If the senior class wins this year it would mark their tenth victory. The first documented Class Cup was in 2012 and since then seniors have run virtually unopposed sparking accusations of cheating. Junior Tyson Scott, an ASB executive has heard and been on both sides of this scrutiny.

“I thought it was because the seniors kept rigging it because seniors are always tracking the points…Almost every single time they show the QR code. It’s like, oh, the seniors are probably winning,” Scott said. “But now I’m actually on [ASB]. And I realized it’s just because seniors go to the most games.”
ASB Vice President Kyan Rosenthal echoes Scott.

“If you think about it, logically, the seniors always win because they have more people on the varsity sports teams that they go to support. It’s easier for them to get places because they have a car and they’ve been driving for a while.” Rosenthal said.

Despite the history of past Class Cups, many underclassmen such as Zoe Smith are still making an effort to participate, winning the ninth-grade class a firm second place.

“I’m trying now to go to as many games as I can…If I had the time I would 100% try to go to every game. And like I think we go to a lot.” Smith said.

Graphic: Sydney Woogerd
About the Contributors
Sydney Woogerd
Sydney Woogerd, Editor-in-Chief
Sydney Woogerd is an editor-in-chief for the Puma Press and a senior in her second year on staff. Sydney enjoys writing stories that involve community perspectives and exciting new events on and off campus. Her favorite part of journalism is its fast-paced work environment which gives her experience in writing and problem-solving. Outside of school, she enjoys playing soccer, baking, and spending time with friends.
Simon Alpren
Simon Alpren, Reporter
Simon Alpren is a reporter on the staff of the Puma Press. He is a Junior and is new to staff this year. He loves writing stories about student life on campus. His favorite part of journalism is hearing what changes students would like to see in the community. Outside of journalism, he enjoys playing the cello and walking his dogs.