Sizing Up The Space

What the ULab means for UPrep’s future

Photo: Car

A UPrep student watches the ULab construction unfold. According to Brian Gonzales, the completion will happen later than expected. “Construction projects always take longer than you think. A million things have just added up to where delays occur. It is inevitable,” Gonzales said.

As students look forward to next year, and the community readies itself for summer vacation, the ULab reaches its fourteenth month of construction. The project is supposed to be completed by October, according to Director of Innovation and Experiential Education Brian Gonzales.

Gonzales was a part of the original design process and has taken an active role over the last two years. 

“My role is to consider how we can utilize the new space to amplify the impact of the programs that UPrep offers and to help create a culture of innovation and adventure throughout the building and the school,” Gonzales said. 

The highly anticipated project began planning more than seven years ago and has accumulated a lot of excitement. 

“I think when you all see the open spaces that are in that building, the breakout spaces that will be available, the glass and the light that’s going to be in this building, it’s going to change everything about what you’ve seen at our campus,” Gonzales said.

The new addition also comes with plenty of adjustments for the community. One of them is crossing the street during passing periods. 

“The scheduling team is working on solutions to make sure you are not coming from the bottom floor of the classroom building to the top floor of the ULab during a five-minute passing period,” Gonzales said. “We will start the year by supporting students crossing the street by making adjustments to the timing of the lights, and then we will grow and adapt like we always do.”

Next year, each grade will increase in number while the campus initially remains the same size. Until the ULab opens, the lack of space will present an issue for the community. Gonzales has made it a priority that, next year, everyone will have a class without increasing the number of students in a room.

“We are going to use every space we can to have classrooms. For example, I and others will not have an office until the building opens,” Gonzales said. 

While English teacher Alana Kaholokula believes the building will be great, she is worried about the lack of concrete plans for next year. 

“I can’t do a ton of detailed planning until I have more information about the building,” Kaholokula said. “If I have to run from the third floor of the new building to the third floor of the classroom building and I have five minutes to do it in, then its going to limit how many things I can set up for my second class and clean up from my first class.”

While the specific details have not been decided yet, Gonzales is confident that the issues will be resolved. 

“As we get closer and closer to the actual opening, the more final all the plans become. But there are committees that are definitely working on it,” Gonzales said.

Once the construction is eventually completed, it will be a massive improvement to the school layout, according to Gonzales. 

“The amount of space will change everything for all of the students because I think we have gotten accustomed to living in our very small campus footprint that is bursting at the seams,” Gonzales said. “This is going to give us the breathing room we need.”