Marketing Maneuvers

UPrep sees an increase in advertising

Photo: Seattle Transit

An ad that students see frequently is the one on the lightrail.

Due to the increase of University Prep advertising throughout Seattle, leaving the campus does not guarantee leaving school behind.    

Marybeth Lambert, Director of Marketing and Communications, reasons that the increase is due to the school campus growing.

“We have the new ULab building that’s opening next year, and so we are going to be recruiting more students to come to UPrep,” Lambert said. “We wanted to make sure we were getting the word out around town.”

According to Lambert, the location and content of each advertisement was planned to the very last detail. 

“We wanted to make sure that we were advertising in places where families and students would be, and we wanted to make sure that we were advertising in a variety of diverse places,” Lambert said. 

The way that the marketing department spreads the word varies depending on the audience.

“We have advertised on radio like our local NPR station and also KEXP. We also are the first school to advertise on light rail,” Lambert said. 

The target audience plays a large role in where the school advertises.

“We have been advertising down in South Seattle, so we have a partnership with a website and newsletter called The South Seattle Emerald that primarily focuses on the African American community,” Lambert said.

A picture of the class of 2022 at graduation is the favored ad for the administration.

“We knew that a picture of students in caps and gowns would really resonate because families in Seattle care a lot about education,” Lambert said. “It shows how we prepare students for college and life beyond.”