A Common(s) Conflict

Stealing from the cafeteria has become an issue in the community

Photo: Carter Headstrom

Students are stealing food from The Commons according to owner Felicia Lindholm.

A typical school day causes students to leapfrog across the campus from various rooms and hallways. There is always one constant in their daily schedule: the Commons Cafe. Unfortunately, it has also become a hotspot for theft. 

The occurrences are often petty and unnecessary, according to cashier Seann Abuan. 

“In the mornings when the passing period is going on and there are a bunch of kids, some will take a bite out of something like a muffin and just set it back down on the counter,” Abaun said. 

According to the owner of The Commons Cafe Felicia Lindholm, who has been at UPrep for nine years, students were stealing from The Commons more than once a week in the fall. 

“It is betrayal. I have been with most of these kids since they were in sixth grade,” Lindholm said. “I have fed them every day, so why would they steal from me?”

The Commons does not have the excess savings to compensate for the lost goods.

“We only make enough to buy everything and pay everyone,” Lindholm said. “We do not make extra money. It’s just a beautiful job that we love.” 

Since the Commons is its own independent business, Lindholm works with the division directors to limit the thefts. Director of Upper School Joel Sohn deals with disciplining the upper school students. 

“We have had incidents where we knew that students were taking things,” Sohn said. “We deal with that privately, pulling in the student, having a direct conversation with them.”

In addition, Lindholm requires the students to meet with her. She makes it clear that she will not punish them.  

“I’m not mad, I am hurt,” Lindholm said. “I feel like we are a part of the community so I do not understand why the community would steal from us.”

Due to the increase of theft, Lindholm installed security cameras that are able to see the entire room in detail. However, her surveillance is done in order to teach students a lesson.

“It’s a learning thing. If you guys got caught stealing in 7-11, then you are in a lot more trouble,” Lindholm said. “It is not a good behavior to start.”

Lindholm has a passion for creating quality meals for the community.

“There are a lot of extras too, like the fun hot sauces,” Lindholm said. “We do not have to put those all out, but we do because we really want you to enjoy your food.” 

She also wants to focus her efforts towards making products that everyone loves. 

“I want to make cookies. I want to make banana bread,” Lindholm said. “I want to make you fun stuff to eat.I don’t want to have to be chasing you around.”