The ULab is Under Construction

How UPrep’s newest building will affect the school

Construction+on+the+ULab+began+last+spring%2C+and+will+be+finished+by+this+fall.+

Photo: Parker Hulse

Construction on the ULab began last spring, and will be finished by this fall.

By this fall, University Prep will have a new building across the street. It is currently under construction. The three story building, called the ULab, will feature new learning spaces and will help UPrep grow its enrollment.

According to Brian Gonazales, the Director of Innovation and Experimental Education, this plan began ten years ago, when the administration began thinking of how they could expand the school.

“As the school continues to grow, we need more space,” Gonazales said.

The ULab will only be open to Upper School students. It will include 10 classrooms, and a half-gym.

“It also includes faculty offices, a new and much improved Makerspace, the college guidance office, a new large commons space, and a rooftop deck,” Gonzales said.

The building will be 39,000 square feet, which is about the size of the current main building. This means it will be pretty big.

The building is projected to be finished by the start of next school year.

The ULab will be built across the street from the current buildings.

“In all big construction projects, there’s always problems and adventures along the way,” Gonzales said. “But the school has responded really well. So it’s been a really smooth build so far.”

The process of financing the ULab took a large amount of donations. UPrep’s fundraising goal for the ULab is $25 million. Currently, the school has raised about $18 million, according to their website. To fund the project originally, they used their reserves and short-term financing.

Many students were intrigued by the ULab, and expressed excitement about having another building.

Tom Tooth, an eighth grader, said he was excited about “having more space and new students”.

Others echoed this statement.

“I am excited to get to know more people when we add them to our grade next year,” said eighth grader Dev Parikh.

Other students were excited for the new facilities that the ULab will provide.

“I’m excited for the new basketball court,” said eighth grader Liam Pryor. “Because then we can have longer practices during basketball season.”

When the ULab opens, it will increase enrollment and provide new learning facilities. Hopefully, it will make our school a better place.