Trixie+Miller

Trixie Miller

High Mountain Institute (C.O.)

Q: What school are you at? How did you hear about it?

A: I am currently at the High Mountain Institute (HMI) in Leadville, Colorado. I heard about the school first though my family friend that came in semester 45 and also when I heard you [senior Sydney Goitia-Doran] were coming here it made me reconsider coming. 

Q: If you were to briefly summarize your experience so far to someone who hasn’t gone, how would you describe it?

A: It’s just a time to reflect on life and who you are and who you want to be. You grow and become so independent while being here and it’s unlike anything I have ever experienced. The people here are so welcoming and nice, and it is super nice to be part of such an intentional community. 

Q: What has been the most challenging part of your semester away?

A: I would say the most challenging part of the semester has been the expeditions we have gone on. We go on three 10-16 day expeditions, one in the mountains and two in the Utah canyons. They are extremely physically and mentally challenging, but they are also such an important part of the experience, and you become so close with the people you are with because you share a lot of the same feelings of pain and being overwhelmed. 

Q: What’s a new skill you’ve learned?

A: I have learned again how to use a whisper light stove and fix one, how to cook portions for 70+ people, how to read a map and know where I am at all times, and I have learned lightning position for when the lightning is right above you and you could get struck by it. 

Q: What makes your semester school different from UPrep?

A: Here, at HMI, the way they teach is unlike anything I have ever been in and I am actually learning information and not just doing it for a grade. For example, in my math class, every week we learn a new topic and Jessie, my teacher has us go to the board and just try the problems using what we know. At first, me and my friends were so confused and did not like it at all, but it was actually super effective in teaching the new material…I have never loved or enjoyed a math class more. 

Q: Do you recommend taking a semester away? Why or why not?

A: Yes, yes, yes. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is just considering doing a semester away. It will change your life. 

The Puma Press • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in