The Student News Site of University Prep

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

Cultural Cooking

Cultural+Cooking
Photo: Jacob Kauff

Cooking in language classrooms helps students enhance language learning

Why are the language classrooms so interesting? Perhaps it’s the challenge of mastering a new language to share with the rest of the world.

Maybe it’s for a simpler reason, like the teachers’ attitudes in class. But there are a number of people who say that their favorite part of a language class is that one day every few months that teachers decide to cook in class.

Spanish Teacher Alma Andrade says that cooking helps students learn the language better. She tries to help students learn Spanish while they cook.

“I try to get the recipe in Spanish and have it all printed out for [the students]. I also teach them the vocabulary a few days prior to our cooking class,” Andrade said.  Students are engaged in cooking classes because it is something they can relate to. Cooking is a lesson on culture.

“[If we didn’t cook in the language classes] we wouldn’t really understand the food aspect of culture and how the cooking is different in Japanese culture,” Junior Claire Mao said.

“I think [it] is very important to learn about Japanese culture in general,” Mao said. The food that is made in the classes is pretty great as well, with many different and delicious recipes to choose from.

At the end of class when all the cooking is over and done with, it can be very satisfying to sink your teeth into the food that you spent so much time working on. For years now, language class cooking has been a efficient contributor to U Prep students’ learning.

It provides them with cultural significance, language, and a satisfied stomach that a person needs to succeed.

By: Jared Taylor