Injured in Action

Photo: Jacob Kauff

The inside story of how U Prep student -athletes get injuries and handle the recovery

When watching a sports game, have you ever stopped and realized ust how many injuries there are? You’d be surprised how many people get hurt while trying to enjoy their pastime; concussions, fractures, broken bones, the whole lot of them are just waiting to happen in one innocent game.

Director of Athletics Rebecca Moe takes special precautions when a student-athletes get injured.

“Anytime someone gets injured, my first response is caution because the health and safety of our kid is our one priority.” Moe said.

“I hate to see kids get injured and we always try to reevaluate how the injury happened and we do anything we can to prevent it.”

Northwest Schools all attempt to prevent these sports injuries by taking players who seem to be injured out of games, however, there are still some exceptions even if they are injured the player is sent back out into the fray where they are susceptible to more injuries.

Sophomore Brittany Carter     almost faced a similar issue, when a basketball had hit her head hard.

“I don’t think [my basketball coach] was going to take me out at first,” Carter said, “until [then] it looked like I was still trying to catch my balance and he realized that I needed to go out on the bench.”

These injuries aren’t just limited to high schools sports programs either; many if not all sports programs – ranging from those here at U Prep to professional sports – may encounter a damaging injury they weren’t expecting to take place.

At U Prep, there have been many sports related injuries that have hampered players’ everyday life outside of the sports world.

Junior Idalia Kaplan – who had her leg broken in a basketball game – encountered many day-to-day struggles with her injury.

“Things like getting upstairs – it takes twice as long and three times as much energy. Not being able to walk around, even for something like going across the room and throwing something away is hard.”

Moe said “We are always making sure that our kids stay healthy, because that is the most important thing – that they are healthy and they’re safe, and that matters a lot.”

As for the students who have been injured, they are hoping to soon recover so they can return to doing what they love again.

“With physical training and physical therapy, I feel like I feel more confident about my recovery everyday,” Kaplan said, “I’m going to prepare from the moment I’m allowed to play basketball in June, until the day the season starts to have the best season I can have. For myself and for my team.”

By: Jared Taylor