Phone Policy Problems

Policy draws student concerns

Photo: Jordan Woogerd

Students will use textbooks or ipads to hide their phones.

The middle school phone policy at UPrep is as soon as students come on campus, they must put their phones away until 2:55.

Lately, the middle schoolers have been resisting this policy. Staff have even needed to review the rules with middle school students in assembly. 

Director of Middle School Susie Wu spoke about why this policy has consistently stayed this way. 

“We would be battling a lot if we openly allowed cell phones to be used,” Wu said. “Lots of things happening in classes all the time.” 

Wu stated that students would only briefly enjoy changes in leniency. 

“Most students would be initially super happy,” Wu said. “Then I think they would just be texting each other in classes and hallways.” 

Eighth grader Isobel Hawking shared their thoughts on UPrep’s rules regarding technology. 

“When it’s not disrupting other peoples’ education, then we should be able to do what we want,” Hawking said. 

Hawking said this could be during passing periods. 

“Why do they care what we’re doing in the five minutes it takes for us to walk to our classes?” Hawking said. 

Hawking has similar views about how the policy allows staff to take student belongings. 

“I think that there should be consequences for breaking rules,” Hawking said,  “but I don’t think that taking peoples’ things is a good way of going about that.” 

Middle School English teacher Mark Smith spoke about the strictness of the policy.

“I would say the policy needs to be not absolute,” Smith said, “but more guided by the teacher.”

He states that this might look like teachers deciding independently if their class can be on their phones, instead of the policy deciding for them. 

Wu says UPrep’s middle school policy is always ready for critiques, and that it has even been edited before. 

“We’re always open to feedback,” Wu said. “I encourage students to go to their student rep, and share any problems they have with our policy.”