UPrep Takes Over Instagram

Administration works to combat the recent creation of student run Instagram accounts

In the past month, University Prep has faced a surge in student-run, school-themed Instagram accounts, all of which are in violation of the school’s social media policy.

Associate Director of Digital and Brand Communications Abby Formella became aware of these accounts after questions and reports from faculty and staff. This prompted Formella to remind students of the school’s social media policy in both Director of Upper School Joel Sohn’s weekly email and on Schoology.

“UPrep has a social media policy to ensure the online safety of all members of our community and to also ensure that UPrep is accurately portrayed on social media,” Formella said in an Interview with the Puma Press. “The immediacy and reach of social media can also present certain risks and challenges. That is what this policy is trying to avoid.”

Senior Asher Todd-Taraday, the creator of what was formerly known as @Uprepshittyparking, is annoyed at what led to this sudden announcement.

“I was a little angry at the newer accounts because they brought light to these accounts to the administration,” Todd-Taraday said. “But I was not taking it too seriously because there is nothing they can really do.”

Formella realizes the intentions behind these accounts and offered a solution to students who wish to create accounts using the UPrep logo.

“If a student or group of students would like to start a UPrep-sanctioned account for a club, class, etcetera, they should partner with a faculty or staff advisor and bring their idea to the communications office for review,” Formella said. “We are happy to partner with students.”

Since this announcement, most accounts have changed their name to variations of UPrep, such as, @Uprefoodcritics, @Uphottakes and @Pumascaughtsleeping. However, some ignored this warning, like @Uprepconfessions. Formella said that she hopes students will honor the announcement, but they do not have plans for further action regarding the accounts that keep UPrep in their name or exibit UPrep’s logo on their profile.

Unlike Todd-Taraday, who changed his account name from“Uprep” to “Uperc,” the creators of @Pumapowerhouse, junior Payton Habel and sophomore Eliza Barton opted to partner with the Communications department.

“We weren’t worried about getting support as we had good intentions and Mrs. Moe on our side,” Barton said. “Being partnered with the school, we hope to keep increasing school spirit and enthusiasm for our sports teams and to get more people going to games because fans do make a difference in how you play.”

Barton and Habel feel like the newer Instagram accounts have become overwhelming and lack good intention.

“All these accounts were good fun, but these new ones like @Uprepconffessions just seem to cause more drama,” Habel said. “The unnecessary accounts overshadow the accounts that actually have a purpose.“