Savory Sweets

Savory+Sweets

Tasty Desserts, With Company.

Rich, spectacular, sweet, caramel. These are just some of the words we would use to describe Hot Cakes Molten Chocolate Cakery. We were mesmerized walked into the shop, a small dessert shop located on Ballard Avenue.

The first thing we noticed was the smell, the sweet smelling cakery effused the air with the scent of rich chocolate, sweet caramel, and delicious vanilla. It is an adorable little restaurant full of super nice and welcoming people. The shop just had this very homy and real feeling to itself.

The music was just to the point where you could sing along, and at the same time be able to clearly talk to your friend. It was one of those places that you walk in and immediately think, this is going to be delicious. We decided to try two of the classic and most popular desserts. One being the Warm Chocolate Chip Cookie.

This enormous cookie, was not any regular chocolate chip cookie. Served straight out of the oven, the warm chocolate chip cookie has a crumbly toffee-like quality that instantly melts into a flavor filled bites as soon as it hits your mouth. On top of the cookie was a perfect single dome of cold vanilla ice cream. To top everything off heated caramel sauce.

The flavor filled dessert has the perfect balance of hot and cold. We found that once we were down to the final bites of the exquisite chocolate chip cookie, we didn’t want to eat it because we didn’t want it to disappear. We also had the Dark Decadence. This Dark Decadence is a four ounce cake, with a hardened top layer, and a warm extremely tasteful inside.

This molten chocolate cake was different from any regular cake. Served on a wood plate with the cake straight out of the oven. The inside of the cake was rich, dark and delicious while the outside was a shell of perfect chocolate cake. This dark cake was served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream surrounded in a pool of caramel sauce, atop of everything lays crumblings of toffee, and caramelized sugar. Hot Cakes Molten Chocolate Cakery was the perfect place, it contained so many delicious desserts, bubbling drinks, and sugary pastries.

The cakery was the splendid shop to do homework or even meet up with friends, with a similar environment to a regular coffee shop except much more friendly, and community based. You walk in and instantly feel like you its where you belong. The smell of freshly made desserts filled with creamy peanut butter, molten chocolate. We decided that if it was not for the shop being in Ballard we would spend a piece of our time there every weekend. This is a spectacular shop, and great place to go if you’re looking for some savory sweets.

Overall Grade: A (Parking was slightly challenging)

By: Melissa Funes & Emma Van Deursen