From Sunrise to Sunset

Ramadan is upcoming, and Muslim students at University Prep are preparing to fast

Photo: Jamila Abdilahi (Courtesy)

Junior Jamila Abdilahi and her sister Sophomore Juweriya Ab- dilahi celebrating Eid (before COVID-19) with their extended family. Eid is the holiday celebrated that marks the end of Ramadan.

Most University Prep students are familiar with running around Greenlake in gym class, but imagine running the 2.8 miles without drinking any water.

Before COVID-19, sophomore Ilham Mohamed’s class ran Greenlake during Ramadan. 

Ramadan is a holy month in Islam when Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset, as fasting is a key pillar in Islam. Ramadan occurs every 9th month of the islamic lunar calendar, which moves the dates back 11 days each year.

“I have anemia, so it’s kind of hard having to run and do certain activities when you can’t drink water or eat food.” Mohamed said. 

According to Mohamed, teachers at UPrep are aware of the situation and make sure to check up on students that are fasting.

“If I needed to take a break, [P.E. teachers] would usually stop with me, but I never really had to take breaks. But they would always try to make sure that I was comfortable,” Mohamed said.

For Muslims, Ramadan is a time to focus on their relationship to God and better themselves.

“It’s kind of a time of cleansing, like, during Ramadan. Since in Islam, we say that the Satans are held away during Ramadan,” Mohamed said.

Fasting can be an adjustment, but sophomore Hebaq Farah finds it manageable.

If I had gone to a public school instead where the food wasn’t really that good, it would definitely be easier.

— Junior Jamila Abdilahi

“[Fasting] is usually a struggle the first few days, but it’s not too difficult,” Farah said. “You just have to balance knowing what you can do without exhausting yourself.”

Before the COVID-19 pandemic, junior Jamila Abdilahi found it hard to resist the Commons Cafe while fasting.

“If I had gone to a public school instead where the food wasn’t really that good, It would definitely be easier,” Abdilahi said.

With the COVID-19 pandemic, students don’t need to worry about these temptations.

“Now with Coronavirus, it’s definitely going to be easier, because you’re with your family all the time, or you’re staying at home,” Abdilahi said.

After running Greenlake, Mohamed felt that her teacher handled the situation well, and helped her get through it.

“I feel like a lot of the teachers and everybody at UPrep is a bit more aware of it than I would say in like other schools,” Mohamed said.

Last year, teachers were mindful of students that were fasting, even when online.

“Teachers would bring it up and ask other students to refrain from eating or drinking on camera which was nice,” Farah said. 

After 12 hours of fasting, families come together to eat a big meal, which is known as Offur.

“I love the food and everyone coming together [during] offur, it’s probably the most time I’ve ever spent with my extended family,” Farah said.

Since many students are learning online, there is less physical activity in the day.

“Now with Coronavirus, it’s definitely going to be easier because you’re with your family all the time or you’re staying at home,” Abdilahi said. “[Your family] can help you get through it.”