Students Get Political

UPrep students voice their political opinions and ideas

Photo: Todd L Church/(CC BY 2.0)

Bernie Sanders holds a rally in Traverse City, Michigan during the 2016 general election.

The Democratic Party is currently in the process of nominating a candidate that will contest President Trump in the 2020 Midterm Election. In the UPrep community, we have consulted the political opinions and ideas of students, to see how they interpret the political world.

Eighth-grader Caitlyn Makar-Witucki says she supports a liberal ideology, but stays moderately impartial. 

“I would say it’s good to not be too radical… so you see the other side’s perspective,” Makar-Witucki said. “If [a candidate] generally reflects my views and they’re still republican, I’d support them.”

As the race for presidential primary develops, students are backing a variety of candidates.

Sixth-grader Jaiveer Chauhan believes that Bernie Sanders can be a very strong candidate that many people can side with.

“I support Bernie Sanders because I think he can win the actual presidential race against Trump, and also because I think he just attracts more voters,” Chauhan said.

Eighth-grader, Matthew Selby offers an opposing argument to Bernie Sanders.

“I was backing Buttigieg, but he just dropped out so I switched to Biden. I want a moderate to win, and if you start splitting up your votes to smaller moderates, you end up with Bernie winning,” Selby said. “All of [Sanders] policies are unreasonable and expensive. Generally socialism has been proven to not be necessarily good for the economy.”

Many Americans would agree that they don’t like the sound of socialism, making candidate Joe Biden seem more moderate and approachable to this select group. 

Selby also voiced his preferred political policies with enthusiasm.

“I don’t agree with Medicare for all, I think it  will cost way too much, and you’ll end up having to raise taxes a lot,” Selby said. “I don’t think they should be banning guns. I think they should just have stricter tests. You have to have strict tests to not allow criminals and people with mental disabilities [to obtain guns].”

Based on personal experience, Makar-Witucki objects to Selby’s view of Medicare for all.

“I’d say free Medicare [is beneficial] because I’m a dual citizen of Canada, and I wish I lived there right now,” she said. “I feel like they’re a lot more progressive in these kinds of policies and procedures.”

In Washington, Joe Biden edged past Bernie Sanders, winning the Washington Primary popular vote. Biden earned 46 of the 89 delegates available. The Democratic Party will decide their nominee for president and vice president at the Democratic National Convention, which will occur from the week of August 17. From there, the selected candidate will oppose President Trump until Election Day on November 3.