Introducing Joel Sohn

UPrep’s new upper school director will be coming to UPrep this fall

Photo: Episcopalhighschool.org
Joel Sohn teaching a class at Episcopal High School.

As we bid farewell to Upper School Director Ken Jaffe, we welcome in a new upper school director, Joel Sohn. Ken Jaffe will be leaving UPrep after being at UPrep for twenty five years.

Joel Sohn has worked at many other schools before and is excited to be at UPrep. 

“I’m really looking forward to meeting everyone and getting to know the community,” Sohn said. 

Sohn started his career in education in graduate school when he was offered a fellowship. 

“That opportunity allowed me to teach a wide range of students from all over the world,” he said.

After that he volunteered at an elementary school in Florida before he moved to his two most recent jobs at boarding schools on each coast. 

“Those schools have provided me a different perspective on what it means to be part of a community and what it means to have full responsibility for students,” Sohn said.

Sohn has always been part of the classroom but puts in extra work in administrative roles. 

“I’ve spent the majority of my career in the classroom though I’ve always done additional work in some capacity through strategic planning, curriculum development, and faculty development,” Sohn said.

Most recently Sohn has worked as an English teacher and Director of Community and Equity at Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Virginia. 

“My current position is a senior administrative position, which has provided me an enormous opportunity to help shape school culture. In my current capacity, I partner with students, faculty, families, trustees, alumni, and the external community to promote the wonderful culture we’re cultivating on campus,” Sohn said. 

Sohn is excited to be at UPrep, and students and faculty are excited to have him at UPrep. 

“He will bring a new energy to the school and the community,” Middle School Head Susie Wu said. 

“He’s someone who wants to make the school the best place it can be,” said 8th-grader Owen Dombrowski who had helped interview with the rest of the middle school student council which gave students a chance to meet Upper School Director candies.

He coaches track and cross country at Episcopal High.  Outside of school, Sohn has many hobbies. 

“I love running, surfing, eating good food, and exploring new places with my family,” Sohn said. 

Sohn is looking forward to joining UPrep. 

“I’m very excited to be part of UPrep this coming fall,” said Sohn.