UPrep’s going to state!

Photo: Aidan Lee

Girls Soccer

After losing 11 players to graduation last year, varsity girls soccer was in a period of change, working with players new to the varsity girls roster. Captained by seniors Lillian Bown, Ashley Shackelton and Julia Beitel, varsity entered league playoffs with a 3-6 season. 

“I think everyone really knew their role on the team and what they needed to do as an individual,” Bown said. “Everyone had to put in the work and develop as a team.”

Varsity soccer ended their season after a close 2-1 loss to Bear Creek during league playoffs.

Boys Ultimate

After beating Eastside Prep 13-7 during district playoffs, the varsity boys ultimate team ended their season against SAAS with a tough 10-7 loss. Varsity ultimate went through a series of changes, after several key players graduated the previous year. Senior Nathan Burke has played three years on the varsity roster and has seen many iterations of the team.

“I think for me, the highlight in terms of when we felt most like a team was when we played our homecoming game,” Burke said. “That was one of the games of the season that I feel like we were absolutely dominant.”

Volleyball

Entering league playoffs after a 9-5 season, varsity girls volleyball came in with a drive for success and searching for a state title. Junior Ava Anderson leads the team alongside junior Jane Morgan as captains, helping drive the team’s competitive spirit to a state appearance.

“I think this year we are way more competitive,” Anderson said. “We have more of a drive this year as we really want to win and go to state … we have an overall goal.”

One strength varsity volleyball carries is their team cohesion, being able to work well as a unit.

“Our team vibe is still the same [from last year],” Anderson said, “we all have a good relationship with each other and we’re all friends outside the court.”

League playoffs have been an exciting journey, starting with a 3-0 home win against Bear Creek, before losing a close 3-2 game at SAAS. 

At the time of writing, varsity volleyball will continue their journey for a state appearance on November 9th against Nooksack Valley high school, after preventing the reverse sweep against Sultan high school on November 7th. 

Cross Country

The UPrep cross country teams showed a high level of dedication and commitment to the team this year, improving their times each race. Junior Max Lagunoff has been running cross country at UPrep since sixth grade, developing himself to become one of the top runners in the league. 

“I’ve been taking [cross country] a lot more seriously and [my] teammates have too, treating running with much more priority in our everyday lives,” Lagunoff said. 

Boys cross country finished second place in districts, qualifying for state alongside solo qualifier freshman Haley Hoffman.

Boys Tennis

Entering the district tournament off of a dominant 13-1 season, varsity boys tennis went to districts with the highest ranked players, notably junior Tyler Wurzer, ranked No. 1 seed for singles, and senior Nicholas Arron and sophomore Mattias Keaunui, ranked No. 1 seed for doubles.

In the end, both Tyler and Jackson Wurzer advanced to state for singles. Arron and Keaunui will also join them at state, finishing third at districts.

“Being co-league champs this year was great,” Tyler Wurzer said. “We only lost one match the whole season.”