Jaffe Announces Departure

Assistant Head of School and Director of Upper School Ken Jaffe to leave UPrep

Assistant Head of School and Director of Upper School Ken Jaffe received a standing ovation after announcing his plans to leave UPrep at the end of the 2019-2020 school year.

By Anna Inghram, Copy Editor

Assistant Head of School and Director of Upper School Ken Jaffe announced at Upper School assembly on Oct. 1 that this year will be his final year at University Prep. 

Jaffe has worked at UPrep since 1998. At the assembly, Jaffe noted the impact UPrep’s community has had on him over the time he’s worked here.

“Once [students] leave University Prep, they’ll never again have the opportunity to interact with a group of adults who are as committed to their success as this group of adults are committed to your success,” Jaffe said. “I was thinking about this last night, and I was like, ‘That’s me too.’ I will never again have the opportunity to interact with adults in the same way that meant so much to me. So let’s be sure to take advantage of everything the adults have to offer before we leave this year.”

Jaffe enjoyed his years surrounded by the UPrep community, yet feels that his time as an administrator is coming to a close.

“With all the exciting things on the horizon, including a new head of school and a new strategic plan and a new building, if I only had a couple more years, it didn’t feel like there was congruence between the enthusiasm and excitement that’s all around the school and where I would have been sort of personally kind of winding down,” Jaffe said. 

After leaving UPrep, Jaffe hopes to continue working, though in a less demanding job. 

“I would like to continue to work but perhaps not in a job that is as all encompassing,” Jaffe said. “I’m hoping to find something that allows me to continue to interact with students, or nonprofits or things that I that I enjoy doing.”

The search for a new Assistant Head of School and Director of Upper School has not begun yet, but, according to Board of Trustees member Laura Domoto, the board plans to work in collaboration with school leadership and faculty to select a candidate.