Service For South Africa

Student group changes lives across the world, one scholarship at a time

Photo: Maddy Swope

Some UPrep SSASF members at their Halloween fund-raiser. They passed out candy and collected donations on Queen Anne.

The Seattle South African Scholarship Foundation raises money to fund the college education of impoverished scholars halfway around the world. SSASF is made up of eight local high school students — five from University Prep — who are committed to improving South African communities through access to higher education.

Although SSASF has adult board members, the majority of the club is student-run. Students are responsible for everything from planning fund-raisers and events to selecting new SSASF scholars.

“My favorite part, which is also the most challenging part, is reading the applications of all the students that apply for a grant,” senior Elise Anderson said. “You get to learn about really amazing, intelligent people.”

But this opportunity is also quite difficult.

“It’s really hard when you’ve read these people’s hopes and dreams and you can’t really help them,” Anderson said.

SSASF works with students from Hector Peterson School, located in Cape Town, South Africa. Founding Board Member Jeff Blair visited Hector Peterson back in 2008.

“I’ve seen the conditions they go to school in,” Blair said. “It’s a school built for 800 that has 1,100 in it. It’s a school that starts with 400 freshman and not even 200 graduate.”

Students drop out for a variety of reasons, but tuberculosis, AIDS, unplanned pregnancy or the need to support their family financially are among the primary causes. Even if students graduate high school, many don’t have the financial ability to obtain a college degree. This is where SSASF comes in.

“100% of the funds go towards our scholars,” senior Sarah McCall said. “We pay for everything, from the cost of tuition to the cost of living, books, and transportation.”

SSASF’s most prominent event is their annual spring dinner.

“The dinner is nice because it gives people the chance to get to know this club a little more,” senior Flannery Daley-Watson said. “We give a presentation and cook food that’s [specific] to South Africa. It gives people a taste of what we’re about.”

SSASF also hosts several smaller fund-raisers throughout the year.

“While they’re not the most profitable, we get to be more involved in the community,” Anderson said.

Blair noted that what drew him to SSASF, and what keeps him involved, is seeing students come together to conquer an issue that doesn’t affect their personal lives whatsoever.

“To work with students who are compassionate and committed to doing something, however small, to change the world, I’ll do that all the time. That’s really inspiring,” Blair said. “What we’re doing is small, but it’s direct. We are dramatically changing the lives of a handful of people at a time.”

Messages From the Recipients

Do send my warm greetings to the SSASF family, and thank them wholeheartedly for their contribution towards our bright future.

Thanks to the SSASF family for your support, it means a lot!

— Asiphe

I owe it to the SSASF family to say thank you for the opportunities you have given me.

— Mthobeli

Information from advertisement fliers released by Seattle South African Scholarship Foundation.