The Student News Site of University Prep

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

Beyond Boundaries

Beyond+Boundaries

Colombian Camila Rocha’s first snow in Seattle

What’s it like to spend a semester in a foreign country, with a foreign language and different customs? Camila Rocha, who is here from Colombia this semester, shares her experience.

The foreign exchange program opens up many new opportunities for people. “I think it’s a really unique way for them to see a school that is a little bit different from their own in a country away from home. They enjoy having different types of classes, and meeting new friends,” Assistant Director of Global Programs Lauren Feng said.

“We have one student per semester from the school Colegio San Jose in Barranquilla, Colombia…the program has gone on for 10 years,” Feng said.

Rocha has enjoyed her experience so far in the United States and at University Prep. “I like my classes, I like having few classes because in my country you have a lot of subjects. We have 13, you guys have six or seven. I also like being able to choose my classes and the option of having a free period,” she said.

Her host student, junior Helen Buscher, has enjoyed having Rocha stay with her. “It’s so fun having Camila staying with me. I don’t speak any Spanish, but it’s been fun learning about Colombian culture and things I would have not learned otherwise,” she said.

Rocha has experienced new things in the US. “I carved pumpkins for the first time. We have Halloween in Colombia but I have never done that before,” she said.

Buscher has also been able to contribute to Rocha’s US experience. “We have done a lot of touristy things. We have taken her to the Pike Place Market and all that sort of stuff,” she said.

When living in a different country, you notice major differences from home. “One big difference between the US and Colombia is the climate and the weather,” Rocha said, “[In Colombia] we don’t have seasons or snow,” There is also the language difference, but for Rocha it’s not too big an issue. “I really like the language. I think English is really cool.”

It’s also important to realize not every country is the same as yours. “I think people don’t know very much about Colombia. They should know it’s a beautiful country. It’s very different from here. We also have a lot of cool traditions and music,” Rocha said.

For instance Rocha said, “In my city we have a carnival and it’s the second best carnival in the world after the one in Brazil. It happens every February, and it’s a huge thing.”

Whether you are staying in someone else’s country or hosting in your own, it’s safe to say it’s a valuable experience that will allow you to create borderless relationships with other people.

By Ian Lee