Don’t Force Us To Take A Performing Art

One wrong note and everyone is laughing. One wrong step and everyone is pointing. Standing front and center on a stage with everyone staring at you is not for everyone. Forcing a required performing art onto every student is completely unfair.

Not every person is interested in theater and dancing, or showing off their skills to the whole school. So why does UPrep force it on them? The argument is always the same: “every student should explore all their options before deciding what they want.” Honestly, that is a ridiculous concept. Many of us had to do a musical in elementary school. And for some of us, it sucked. Now, as ‘independent and free’ high schoolers, we are forced into doing it again.

Some students are really into visual art and others are really into performing arts. Instead of forcing a student who knows they love visual arts into doing a performing art, let them practice their passion! What use or advantage is it to force them to do something they know that they hate? I don’t see any.

Do administrators realize how long a semester is? One semester is 15 weeks, 105 days,  2,520 hours! If you had 2,520 hours would you spend it doing something you couldn’t care less about? I didn’t think so. Why does the school force us to do this?

Forcing students to do something they don’t want to do is a waste of their time and a waste of the school’s time. Spending money and the time of teachers to direct or teach students who would much rather be doing a visual art. It’s like making a cat play with a bone and wondering why it isn’t interested. It’s pretty simple: it doesn’t want the bone. Just let students express their art in their own way.

By Meher Seera