The Student News Site of University Prep

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

Healeo Heals

Photo Credit: Leah Bell

Organic healthy snacks that taste delicious
Situated in the heart of Capitol Hill lies one of the few completely organic restaurants in Seattle. Growing more and more popular in the eyes of Seattleites, we now understand why.

As we walked into Healeo we were immediately greeted by the very relaxed and welcoming ambiance. Warm orange covered the walls and various species of cacti lined big open windows that allowed for tons of natural light to flood the room. The airy appearance gave a nice change from the usual Seattle weather and upcoming rain.

Walking up to look at the menu, we passed rows of supplements
and healthy packaged snacks available for sale. Behind us were tasty looking juices available to drink on their own or to be paired for “juice cleanses.” They looked appealing, but at $10 a bottle, we opted for an actual meal instead.

After looking at the menu, which included all sorts of smoothies, fresh juices, super food bowls, salads and soups, we settled on the famous “Açai Bowl,” the “Yogi Bowl,” and two coconut, almond smoothies. Our açai bowl came with two superfood toppings, with a variety of things to choose from including fresh fruit, dried coconut, chia seeds, nuts, flaxseed and various types of berries. After much debate, we finally settled on coconut and
blueberries as toppings. Our açai bowl set us back $10.50, the yogi bowl $11, and our smoothies $8 each, so save Healeo for special treats only, unless you are willing to pay top dollar!

With our stomachs growling, we then found ourselves a seat at one of the large wooden tables and prepared to wait.

And wait. This might not be the place to go to in a hurry, but the staff takes special care to make sure their customers are happy with their food.We were impatient but very excited by the time our food arrived.

We first tried the smoothies, which were even better than we could have imagined. They were the perfect blend of creamy coconut milk and ground almond. These smoothies are definitely not your typical Jamba Juice drink. There’s something unique about the thick consistency and the very subtle crunch in the texture that made them practically impossible to stop drinking once we started.

We then eagerly dug into our yogi bowl- an elaborate quinoa salad topped with warm beets, goat cheese, fresh cut cucumber, kale chips and pumpkin seeds. The warm seasoned beets and goat cheese went well with the crunchiness of the cucumbers, kale and quinoa. Not only was the salad delicious, but Healeo doesn’t cheat you on the serving size- it was huge! Starting to get full, we started in on our açai bowl. We understand now why these acai bowls are so popular. It was like eating ice cream without the unhealthy sugar and fat. However, as the weather gets colder, it looks like Healeo won’t have as much attraction, because who wants to eat ice cream when it’s raining outside!?

As we savored our last bites of our açai bowl and slurped our smoothies until we couldn’t anymore. In the end, we left shivering but satisfied.

Overall Grade: A- Very delicious, but pricey and somewhat slow

Food 4

By: Leah Bell and Hannah Zundel-Davis