Third Party Fever

Gary Johnson, former Republican governor of New Mexico, is the 2016 Libertarian Party presidential nominee. Currently, Johnson is polling around 10 percent in national polls. His running mate is Bill Weld, the former Republican governor of Massachusetts.

Weld was able to cut taxes 21 times during his time as governor while maintaining an efficient government. Despite being a registered Republican, he was re-elected by a record breaking 71 percent in a classically blue state.

Unlike Donald Trump, Johnson has successfully built a business from nothing. To pay for college, Johnson started a door-to-door handyman business. The operation eventually grew into one of the largest construction companies in New Mexico. As governor, he cut taxes 14 times, and New Mexico finished with a billion-dollar surplus. Despite cutting taxes heavily, the education system and infrastructure were improved.

Both Johnson and Weld believe in a socially liberal, fiscally conservative America. Johnson believes that if the private sector can do the government’s job better, we should allow it to. He doesn’t believe that parks and streets should be privatized but does believe that the education and healthcare systems should be.

When it comes to foreign policy, Johnson is a non-interventionalist. He believes that the US has gotten involved in far too many regime changes. He wants to cut military spending by 20 percent, a number suggested by the pentagon itself. For social issues such as immigration, Johnson takes a more liberal approach. He believes that immigration coming from Mexico boosts our economy and plans on making it easier for someone who wants to come to America for work to get a visa.

I ask you to consider an alternative to Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. Gary Johnson is the honest, humble and successful nominee we need. Now is the time to upset the two-party system. Vote Gary Johnson for President.

By Wilson Mosier