Commons Care Has Turned Into A Mess

I predict the new Commons Care policy is not going to work. In fact, it will be an epic fail. There has been a radical and unnecessary change to Commons Care. There is no longer a set class that will take care of cleaning up the Commons post-lunch. Although in theory it may sound like a good idea, it’s not going to work. That’s what I predict.  

I’ll admit, although I’m completely capable of cleaning up after myself, it sometimes slips my mind. Even if I do clean up after myself, there are still going to be a couple of people on each floor that forget to clean up…it happens. A chair will end up not pushed in, or two tables are still together. After noticing that there has not been a spot cleaned up, a teacher will not be very happy (I know because it’s happened to me), and then there’s completely avoidable trouble to get yourself into.

Before a teacher notices the unclean spot, sometimes a friend, acquaintance or just a Good Samaritan will end up cleaning up for someone else. All of these different situations end up adding unnecessary complications to something that should be a simple process.

But everything can be solved if we all just pick up after ourselves, right? Wrong. Even if there are no more left over food or bowls, the table still needs to be cleaned and chairs still need to be pushed in. With a majority of students having been at the school for more than a year, we are all used to having a class do Commons Care to rely on. This thinking is still in my head (along with many others), which is what leads us to forget to wipe off that table, or push in another chair.

Back in the olden days, we could potentially forget to push in our chair, and it would be OK. The Commons Care class would take no time at all and just push it in. What do we pay for having everything cleaned for us? Having to do it for one week of the 40-week school year…that’s a pretty small price. Plus, having Commons Care completely removes another variable to get you in trouble, or just having to worry about another thing when you are already late to your next class.

I can definitely see how the new Commons Care system is a good idea. It doesn’t require anyone to miss 10-15 minutes of class or that it may teach us some self-responsibility, but there are just too many variables that could go wrong. The old Commons Care worked well, and there were no problems. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

By: Mahir Piyarali