Welcome Mr. Levinson

Photo Credit: Yearbook

Matt Levinson began his tenure as University Prep’s third Head of School in July. The Puma Press caught up to him as he was settling in

If you could meet someone famous, who would it be?

One of the best books I’ve read in a really long time was “My Beloved World” by Sonia Sotomayor, a Supreme Court Justice. I was really inspired by her book.

What songs do you have on your iPod?

It’s more Pandora than anything else really, but my favorite station is Jack Johnson. I usually have that playing around dinner time.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

I wish I could dunk a basketball! I got really close in college, I dunked a tennis ball but that was as close as I could get!

What is the most trouble you ever got into while in school?

I’ve never been suspended, but I served a few detentions throughout high school for skipping classes, but nothing too bad.

Have you experienced any trouble after moving from California to Washington?

Not really, my best friend from preschool, the best man at our wedding, lives about a mile from U Prep. It’s nice to have that connection and he’s been helping us get to know the town and establish connections here. Everyone at U Prep has been incredible in welcoming me, and I couldn’t ask for anything else.

Why did you start teaching?

The thing that drew me into teaching was a history professor I had in college. In my junior year of college, during a history seminar my professor came into the room with a big box of old stuff and handed it out to everyone in the class. I got a reddish copper thing and I had no idea what it was, but I had to write the history of the object. If it were today, I would have googled it or posted a picture and asked for help, but I had to go to a library and scan through encyclopedias. Turned out it was a fondue burner from the 16th century. After that I was completely hooked and ended up teaching history for 14 years.

What is your leadership philosophy?

To be inclusive and collaborative in the work that we are doing, and find the path that is best for the school.

What are some things that attracted you to University Prep?

The mission really drew me in, with intellectual courage and social responsibility. Also, the incredible faculty. All of the dedication that they have, and I see that as I talk to them.

How does U Prep compare to other schools you have been a part of?

I started at a K-12 school, and was a middle and high school teacher and coach, then went to two K-8 schools. and now I’m back to a 6-12. For me, having the middle school and high school together is a perfect match. I’ve taught both for seven years.

What are some challenges facing the school?

We are still learning about teaching with technology. It’s something that everybody is working on: teachers, students and even parents. Is that a challenge? Yes, but it’s also a great opportunity.

What are you doing to get to know the school?

“I’m trying to get into as many classrooms as I can and make sure I’m visible outside before school.”

What are your future goals for the school?

The big thing that I want to do this year is to learn as much as I can about U Prep and get to know everybody and explore the U Prep experience. Then, figure out what the strategic direction of the school is.  

Are there any challenges with having your own kids go to the school?

I think it’s an incredible opportunity for them. I believe fully in U Prep and having my kids being a part of this community.

By: Mahir Piyarila