Go Healthy, Go Happy

Photo: Jacob Kauff
Photo Credit: Jacob Kauff

Junior Grace Recka shares her secrets on leading a healthy lifestyle

For many teenagers, eating healthy is the least of their concerns. University Prep students are consumed with sports commitments, homework each night, college applications and the list goes on. Most don’t have the time to cook and plan healthy meals. However, junior Grace Recka has devoted herself to sustaining a healthy lifestyle year-round. She finds smart eating and exercising choices fun and exciting.

What does your typical diet look like everyday?

It includes healthy super-foods and proteins that keep me energized. My most important meal is breakfast; I like to eat protein and fruit that keeps me satisfied throughout the morning. Water is very important so I always drink a glass when I wake up, followed by coffee with hemp milk. I hate being hungry, so I love to snack throughout the day.

What inspires you to lead such a healthy lifestyle?

What inspires me is how good, balanced, and refreshed I feel. When I feel good from the inside, I am able to be my best self. The people I surround myself with on a day-to-day basis also inspire me.

Do you think of the way you eat as a diet or a lifestyle?

I never like to think of my eating habits as a diet because I eat what I love and its important to treat myself. If anyone takes anything out of this article I want them to know this: food fuels the body. It is essential for your body to function and is the best way to stay healthy.

How do you stay motivated to stay away from unhealthy food?

Although I have my bad days like every other person, I stay motivated by giving away all my unhealthy food to homeless people. This way I’m helping someone in need. Before eating something unhealthy, I think do I really want this and is it worth it later on? I also like to reward myself with new workout clothes and create workout playlists to keep me motivated.

What exercises do you do?

I love all exercise! However, my all time favorite is Barre, a mixture of high intensity interval training, It works to tone the body by targeting the smallest and largest muscles in your body as well as breaking down fat. The choreography involves tiny one-inch movements that get you to your shaky point, which literally burns fat and strengthens muscles. When I am not doing Barre, I love going for hikes, bike rides, runs or yoga classes. Exercise should be fun way to get out any frustrations in a healthy way.

What do you do when you have a craving?

I first drink lots of water. Then I try to recreate the unhealthy food I am craving with something healthy. For example, if I am craving ice cream, I like to make a smoothie.

What are your favorite healthy foods?

My favorite healthy foods are green smoothies, acai bowls, grilled veggies, and sweet potatoes.

What are your favorite indulgences?

My favorite indulgences are dark chocolate, dried mango, mochi, frozen yogurt

Any advice for people who are trying to eat healthier?

Drink lots of water! Also, set daily goals for yourself and remind yourself what is important to you. Surround yourself with people who are going to inspire you and remember that you’re doing this for you and only you.

By: Hannah Zundel-Davis