The Student News Site of University Prep

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

What are we afraid of?

“Do you have Ebola?” I hear these words come out of students’ mouths nearly

every day in the hallways of U Prep with a mixture  of dark humor and genuine apprehension. The widening spread of the virus throughout West Africa has caused an increased amount of fear across the nation and this does not leave out U Prep students. Many students are scared that they or someone they know will contract the virus. This is especially the case in Seattle because Harborview Medical is just starting to open their doors to infected patients.

However what is being called “the Ebola scare” isn’t really justifiable. For one, Ebola can only be spread through bodily fluids, and, two, we have so much awareness and understanding of the virus that it is highly unlikely it will become anywhere near an epidemic, at least in the United States.

Just last month Mike Kinzer, medical officer for the CDC and father of seventh grader Lily Kinzer, came to talk to us about Ebola. Along with providing us with much insight on the virus, he reassured everyone that there is pretty much a zero percent chance anyone in the U Prep community will contract it.

Yet there is still anxiety among students surrounding this issue. According to the United Nations, in all of West Africa there have been around 4,900 deaths. Compared to the population of these countries which is upwards of around 4-5 million (each), this is a very small percentage.

However people in the United States seem to be more concerned about the virus than those in West Africa when only a few cases have been reported here. We need to stop worrying and think rationally. This is not to say that Ebola is unimportant and not an awful virus, but considering where we live the fear is completely unjustified.

As long as we stay knowledgeable and aware, we will be fine.

By: Lindsay McConville