Keep Arts Mandatory

A point of clarification: this piece is not intended to discount or attack the previous op-ed entitled “Don’t Force Us To Take A Performing Art.”  It was a well-written, thoughtful piece, and we wish to continue the discussion.

Full disclosure: for the three authors of this op-ed, the stage has proven to be our home for many years. To us, the performing arts are as necessary to a fulfilling experience on this planet. Yet we understand that not everyone feels the same way.

Performing is scary because it’s a gamble. There hasn’t been a time when one of us has stepped onstage without screwing something up. But that’s part of the magic. Live theatre is 90 percent messing up, 9 percent improv, 0.5 percent problem solving, 0.4 percent panicking and 0.1 percent planned (if you want that as a fraction that’s 1/1000 according to plan). Daunting as it seems, that’s a pretty accurate representation of life.

Performing teaches you how to climb out of pitfalls, how to take a punch and get back up to fight some more. Onstage you control you, nothing else. And you learn to work with that, to bring everything you have to the table while helping and relying on others to do the same. There’s something unnameably powerful about how the trust and collaboration of an ensemble unearths everyone’s hidden talents. If we could model the rest of the world like a performance troupe, we would undoubtedly see an exponential increase in common understanding, productivity and terrible puns.

Therein lies the value of requiring students to experience the performing arts. It’s not just about discovering a passion or interest; it’s about breaking through comfort zones and learning skills applicable to all facets of life, no matter your career path. When considering the importance of core classes we disregard a student’s future interest in them as they are invaluable to our development as multi-faceted human beings (dare we say, intellectually courageous, socially responsible citizens of the world). Likewise, we must recognize the values and skills that performance has to offer. At University Prep we are lucky to have a uniquely inclusive performing arts program, so everyone should make the most of it.

Do not throw away your shot.

By Lindsay Carter, Hannah Klien and Joel Meyers