The Perfect Movie for All

Moana is not your typical Disney Princess

Disney’s newest animation, “Moana” has been topping the box offices for the three weeks since it came out. Now that I’ve seen it, it’s easy to understand why. This is arguably Disney’s best work. The movie is engaging for viewers of all ages, with lovable characters, a developed plotline and beautiful imagery.

“Moana” tells the story of a teenage girl, voiced by Auli’I Cravalho, who goes against her father’s wishes to find the demigod Maui and save her village from destruction. It may sound like a generic story, but Moana isn’t your average Disney princess.

Moana didn’t have a Barbie body and lacked a royal title. She was brave, independent and able to become a heroine without falling in love.

The music for “Moana” was, as expected from Disney, wonderful. Cravalho, despite being only fourteen years old when Moana was recorded, did a stellar job singing songs that “Hamilton” composer  and Dwayne Johnson made an impressive performance singing as well.

Disney has finally produced a movie that does it all. “Moana” spreads a positive message, stars a young girl who defies stereotypes and acts as a great role model and provides entertainment for all. Both of the main characters, Moana and Maui, develop and learn how to become themselves over the course of the movie, all to the tune of catchy songs in both English and native languages.

This animation is certainty worth seeing; Moana, along with her animal sidekicks with an inspiring plotline and catchy songs are sure to make you fall in love!

Overall Grade: A

By Anna Inghram