Stick to Semesters

The schedule is going to change. With change in the works for next year, one of the options is switching to a trimester-based system. This is a terrible idea.

The trimesters would be split so that one ends at thanksgiving, one ends at spring break, and the last one goes until the end of the year.

If we were to try to fit a semester’s worth of curriculum into a trimester, homework load would blow up and nights would be long and stressful.

It’s not like can some coursework bleed into the next trimester. If this happened, then the material for the second trimester would be held back by the leftover material from the first. Then second trimester’s curriculum would bleed into the third, which is impossible. We’d only be allowed to take classes for two out of three trimesters.

What if someone wants to major in physics or history in college? They only get to study it for 67 percent of the year? What about publications? If we can’t have a yearbook class all year, then would we have a yearbook that only covers two-thirds of the year?

Plus, our spring break would move. We may line up with some private schools, if you have  friends in public schools, you’re out of luck.

On top of that, we would have three weeks of finals. I thought the goal of changing the schedule was to reduce stress, and more finals means more stress… not less.

Like it or not, the schedule is going to change. But we need to make sure the school doesn’t make a mistake with whichever structure they choose.

By Mahir Piyarali