Life Goes On in Lebanon

Our adopted Seattleite checks in from home

Reverse culture shock is real. Thirty minutes after I returned to Lebanon, I found myself yelling “what is he doing?!” – my reaction to a van driver with his door open, head sticking out, eyes glued to his almost flat tire instead of the road and with no seatbelt on, of course. That, in addition to the wave of heat that struck me upon leaving the airport, made for an eventful welcome. All I could think of was, “I’m home.”

It was wonderful to see my family and friends again, but coming back home was difficult. More than that, disappointing. It was hard to recognize that I’m the only thing that changed about Lebanon.

Driving home from the airport, the terrible graffiti, traffic and bumpy roads were still there, and I could immediately smell the thick, polluted air. A couple weeks after my arrival, it really hit me: nothing here has changed.  I’m immensely disappointed that Lebanese people are still sexist, homophobic and somewhat racist. They still believe mental illness is a superstition and that therapy is taboo. I am once again waking up to deafening echoes of construction work and loud male voices advocating for their political and religious sects. Not to mention that we still don’t have consistent electricity, or a president for that matter.  

On a brighter note, there is a familiar warmth to this chaos. While still pretentious and gossipy, Lebanese people are kind-hearted, remarkably hospitable and phenomenal cooks.

Taking a year off from  Lebanon prompted something new in me. Going on exchange fueled my desire to change things here. Luckily, there are so many opportunities to do so as a YES alum. Returning home, we are offered chances to start our own community service projects. I’ve been working alongside people in a huge, incredible community who share my views and ambitions of implementing improvements. People are opening recycling projects or educating unprivileged children and opening libraries. Nothing has been more inspiring.

I spent my summer stuck in a pile of math and chemistry books as well as SAT practice tests, college essays, college lists, the common app, etc…

Ironically, I’m finally homesick. I miss Seattle and University Prep beyond my ability to put into words.

I miss home in Blue Ridge and my host families. I miss Washington’s nature and stuffing my face with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches while admiring the breathtaking scenery. I miss ukulele gatherings, the bike lanes and bike rides at 6 in the morning. And did I bash American food ever since the first time I tried it? Yes, and rightfully so. But have I been craving my host mom’s (healthy version of) American food? Yes, very much.

I have a long list of things I wish I could do once more. But more than anything, I miss those I met on exchange.

By Soha Kawtharani