The Student News Site of University Prep

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

Work Hard Play Hard

From outdoors to the office, UPrep’s workaholics did it all this summer

Under the burning sun, senior Vivian Voth worked in the mountains of Manti la Sal, Utah. All July she did conservation and trail work with a forest service.

Voth was in Utah for a little under a month, working five days a week building trails, fences, and maintaining the Manti la Sal mountain side.

The job consisted of working seven and a half hours each day, waking up at 6:30 am daily. Not only were the hours long and hard, but the weather conditions were all over the board.

On any given day the weather varied from sweltering heat to thunder, lightning and rain creating a precarious work environment.

Although the work was hard and the weather was crazy, Voth loved the work she did there.“I would recommend this to anyone, it made me realize how fortunate I am to be able to go to University Prep,” She said.

Within her small work group of 30 people Voth worked with people from totally different backgrounds, varying in wealth, class, religion, and education level. People came from all over the Unites States there were employees all the way from Colorado, New York, Washington, and Texas.

Voth was so excited to be able to gain real world knowledge. In one short month she gained more experience than ever before. “I’m so thankful I applied and was able to do something that I really care about,” Voth said.

Voth was not the only senior who went to work this summer, seniors Mike Baldwin and Charlie Cobb worked hard this

summer too. As the two juggled working on the University Prep tech team as well as launching their own company.

Their company is Cobalt Network Solutions, and they do anything from high end wireless internet installations to commercial wiring and even some home theater installations.

Baldwin loves his own company much more than the UPrep job, “We work for ourselves. We make way more money charging 95 dollars an hour, and it’s actually enjoyable for me,” said Baldwin.

Baldwin enoyed working this summer and highly recommends working to others, “I think a job is a really good way of growing up, especially as kids where we have so much opportunity,” Baldwin said.

Despite the hard work, late hours, and long days Baldwin has no regrets about spending his summer working. Baldwin said, “As much as it sucks when someone calls you and says ‘hey I need help,’ it’s satisfying to know that we’re making our customers happy, and to know that they will keep coming back to us and that’s the goal.”

By Melissa Funes