The Student News Site of University Prep

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

The Puma Press

Our Fake Inclusivity

If you were a conservative, would you feel safe sharing your political views at our school?

It’s easy to think: of course! Hell, UPrep prides itself on its inclusive space. We have a diversity and community office and an educational equity committee.

But if we are as inclusive as we say we are, then why do some conservative students and families feel uncomfortable? Why do they say they support Trump in an anonymous survey, but not where their opinion may come back to them by name?

Our school has done a fantastic job phasing out negative language surrounding gender and race, as well as respecting those on the LGBTQ+ spectrum. But conservative families at our school are still marginalized.

“How could anyone be a Republican?” and “Being a conservative is so stupid” are both things that I’ve heard in our hallways. Imagine if someone said: “How could anyone be gay?” or “Being gay is so stupid!” What would happen to that student? A serious talk with an administrator? An announcement at assembly? A community conversation?

Why are we taught to respect some ideas, but anything else is allowed to be mocked? Are we really an all-inclusive space, or are we just inclusive towards liberal ideas?

I’m not saying that we should outlaw discussions on politics that turn against certain candidates. All I want is for us to have respect for the opinions that may exist among our peers. Are we fooling ourselves into thinking we’re all-inclusive when we’re really not?

So, I ask you: If you were a conservative, would you feel safe being open about it at our school?

By Mahir Piyarali